[games_access] GDC S.F preparation, status.

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 1 06:45:28 EDT 2008

Thanks Thomas!

What a relief! Thank you so much! I've been getting pumped full of IV
antibiotics and all kinds of stuff to try and get this under control.
There's a rather alarming documentary on the disease at:

http://www.openeyepictures.com/underourskin/index.html

I could hardly watch the trailer because I am so freaked out that we
didn't catch it early enough (every day matters with this thing). So,
Thomas, I absolutely don't mind you stepping in to assist AT ALL.
Perhaps you could help sort out some ideas beyond where I am now (see
below). I think that I have three solid ones that I think will get
accepted but I need some people to commit to those sessions now so
that I have descriptions of EXACTLY what tech talk solutions we'll
have, etc etc. So people -- now is not the time to ignore the call --
these are our GDC passes for this next year!! Please let both Thomas
and I know, off list, which ones you want to help out with as I'll
need to get bio info, etc for when I put them into the system.

Thomas -- I'll send you my files sometime today or tomorrow so that
people can read and give feedback on them. Luckily I have three that
are almost done (see below) before this happened so I feel pretty
confident that we'll be able to get this done with no one spending
days at a time awake (me..hehe).

So...

To be brief (since I still can hardly type), my plan was to put in
the (1 Accessibility Arcade again only updated, (2) put together an
Accessibility 101 session where people could get a "crash course" in
an hour (I'm basing this on the feedback we are now getting that
people want us to explain accessibility more after seeing the
arcade), and (3) a "tech talk" panel on solutions for programmers
(this is the Advanced course for accessibility for those who complain
that we don't give them solutions). So those are the three that I am
focusing in on for my part of the writing and planning and they are
mostly done - just need editing.

What other suggestions do people have for other sessions?

What suggestions do people have for "must haves" in the arcade this
year (companies to sponsor us, devices to show, etc)?

Who wants to be on the "tech talk" panel and what will you talk
about? This should be about 3-4 people giving super fast "solutions
that work" demos along with the technical bits behind it.

For a fourth option, we could try to put together a "community" panel
with those with disabilities talking about their experiences, etc.

This last one is going to be hard to get accepted so if there's
enough interest in it from the list, we need to really make that
write up spectacular. I said this because I know now how conservative
GDC is becoming the bigger it gets. But if someone wants to take the
community idea and have a go at putting it together, we definitely
should. I can help on that one but I'm hoping someone else (Mark
Bartlet? This might be up your alley!) can sketch out the plan (who
would be a part of it, why it's an important session to be at, etc,
etc).

Ok, back to not typing. That was an impressive amount for me given my
track record lately...