[games_access] Accessibility and laws ?

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 7 17:22:57 EDT 2008

Yeah, I definitely have to agree with Mark and
Thomas. As far as I know most every country
requires a reasonable accommodation and, yes,
personal assistants are often hired by
universities to help students with disabilities.
With any kind of computer-based instruction it
will be a blessing for some and a curse for
others. So everything is "case by case" and
schools and universities do not have a one size
fits all set of rules.

So basically, as Mark said, it would be really
difficult for a case to go to court. The only
thing I can think of that would make a case is if
a university flat out says that they are not
willing to provide any accommodation and, thus a
student might not be able to take courses they
need to take for their major. But that is outside
the game world and points to a much bigger
problem that the school might be dealing with:
ignorance.

Michelle