[games_access] poster help

Tim Chase agdev at thechases.com
Thu Feb 7 06:39:31 EST 2008

> I need to make this printable for 35.5in x 43.03in:
> http://gamescc.rbkdesign.com/GDC_poster08.pdf
>
> I'm trying to use GIMP but it's telling me the image will be 1.2 gigs,
> which is insane and I'm having a heck of a time just creating the
> text.

You might try using a vector drawing program rather than a raster
drawing program.  You can get Inkscape for free on multiple
platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac) which is my preferred tool, but
you can also use Adobe Illustrator or Sodi Podi or there may be
others.  Vector images scale cleanly to large print sizes and
arbitrary resolutions without consuming vast amounts of memory.

Also, while I use Gimp for web-image editing, it's lack of
post-processing controls and support for Pantone/CMYK
color-spaces makes it an iffy choice for reliable/accurate printing.

-tim