[games_access] Blizzard, WoW, and Accessibility Concerns

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 14 18:57:38 EST 2008

Hey Thomas,

Yeah, I agree that we should aim for a powerful project for the SIG
-- and it's my hope that all the money we are raising will help start
that project and continue/start others. I want us to start moving
toward being a group that can afford to pay stipends to those who are
putting in the work on these projects. My main concern was that you
were saying that we should splinter off now just as we were seeing
success in fund raising, attention getting within the industry -- but
I see that you weren't saying that. :) I agree -- we can and should
have dreams of where this can go!

I guess I still don't quite understand why an independent
consortium/separate group would be a more successful move and/or a
move that gets more respect in this particular industry. Why not do
all these things as part of the SIG? We're now being supported by the
ECA/ESA in addition to the IGDA so I see where we are now and where
we are moving towards as being ideal for supporting this kind of
project -- and is exactly why we're raising the money and extending
our group's partnerships. We're also going to need to form a board of
directors to help determine how money should be spent so that
companies know that they are putting funds into a group with the
proper checks and balances. So coming from a group management
perspective, having to do something like this twice -- once for the
SIG and then again for a consortium even if it's done by two
different people -- seems like something that puts all our time into
doing these kinds of "administrivia" and none of it into projects.

Anyway, I guess because I'm kind of stuck in the middle of all this
set up of legal and administrative realities with where the SIG is
moving into now and I see anything that can reduce the work of
setting up new groups as a way to save time and money and actually
make change happen. That's mainly what I was responding from -- it's
a nasty pain to deal with an international group where laws of
non-profits differ in every country...why not make that work go as
far as possible so that people leading the projects and the industry
can benefit from that work already being done?

So that's all I meant -- I see all the drudge work of that comes with
being financially independent as a group and I want to make sure all
that drudge work results in successful projects that we support. :)

Michelle