[games_access] GDC 2008 Debrief

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 26 21:44:11 EST 2008

I'm also in touch with their CEO & COO -- They want to personally
send emails to people who have been treated badly, gotten kicked off
of WoW, etc. So if anyone knows of anyone personally who has been
kicked for using macros in order to use accessible controllers and/or
got no response from Blizzard, please let me know. The more people we
have to lend their voices to this issue, the better! Obviously there
is social responsibility but they want as many stories as possible so
that they can see the range of problems that people are experiencing
as well as any negative response (which is UNcool in Blizzard's
opinion) they have received from customer service.

So the sooner we can get this info, the better so that the CEO and
COO can follow through with what they have offered in order to start
fixing things. I just spoke with the COO again this morning and in
his words "he is deeply ashamed that anyone from their team may have
treated any gamer -- with or without a disability -- badly."

With regard to numbers, it is NOT ok in Blizzard's opinion that
anyone has been treated rudely by any member of their team but at the
same time they'd like to know how many people have been denied access
and how. They don't need exact numbers but they do want to know a bit
more about how many people were WoW players before this all hit the
fan. They believe us -- but they just want more information so that
they can come up with a solution that keeps out cheaters but also
allows disabled gamers to play.

Cool!
Michelle