[games_access] DCC questions from Matt

Reid Kimball reid at rbkdesign.com
Sun Jan 6 15:25:44 EST 2008

Hi Matt,

Where possible in time, budget and creativity I like captioning sounds
in the form of onomatopoeia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia), the words read aloud
resemble how they sound (BANG, QUACK, MEOW). It's very expensive to do
this and takes a lot of creativity to figure how how an arrangement of
letters captures the sound.

The other way is simply to describe the sound as you suggested. With
that, you could use suffix captions for weapons to say shotgun gun
fire, assault rifle gun fire, etc. Or you can differentiate them as
shotgun blast, assault rifle burst, rocket grenade launch.

There's the possibility of captions being unfair, but only if the
sounds themselves are hard to discern which is which. If it's easy for
a hearing person to discern between a pistol firing and a
semi-automatic uzi, then using captions that make clear the difference
shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

To denote when the sound is over, consider timing the visibility of
the caption with the length of the sound. When the sound starts, the
caption appears, when it stops, the caption disappears. Sometimes the
sound is so short the caption doesn't stay on screen long enough to be
read, then you'll have to keep it on screen longer and communicate in
some other way the sound has finished playing. This is unexplored and
has not been done in captioning for games yet.

-Reid