[games_access] Game Accessibility Suite, and first prototype...

Michael Ellison devellison at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:30:52 EST 2008

The prototype/proof of concept is just a command-line interface, and
slows it down when it is injected  - either at startup of the game, or
injected while the game is running depending on command line
parameters.

When I've got the user interface code done, it will be a runtime
control - all that needs to happen there is for a multiplier to be
changed and a base time offset reset.

It's actually interesting the effects it has on cutscenes - it varies
between games.

On Doom 3, the cutscenes have their audio triggered by events in the
cutscene but don't have feedback from the audio engine.  The audio
plays at normal speed so the lips become totally unsynchronized from
the audio. The start of each speaker's dialogue, however, lines up
with what's being displayed on screen.  It's like watching a really
horribly dubbed movie in slow motion.

On Half-Life 2 Episode 1 (and probably any other Source game), the lip
synchronization appears to have feedback from the audio engine.  As a
result, the time between sentences is long, but the lips synch up
perfectly at the full speed of the audio while all other animation is
slowed down.  I was pretty amazed when I saw that - neat technology on
Valve's part.  (BTW - to get GASThrottle into HL2, you currently have
to inject it while the game is running using the -p or -n switches).

For pure video cutscenes, it depends on how they render it.
DirectShow so far has seemed to be actively hostile to the technique.
Windows media player pretty much just stops and repeats a single
buffer of audio/video - probably due to the fact that the system
timers and audio card timers are irreconcilable.  I'll need to find a
way around that one eventually... Some other video libraries seem to
be just fine, although audio becomes unsynched.

Cheers,
Mike