[games_access] Game Accessibility Suite, and first prototype...

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:01:20 EST 2008

Hi Michael,

I haven't had the time to test it yet but can you slow it down the
game while you play the game or is everything slowed down before you
run it? will this affect the animation of cutscenes etc? I can imagine
players sometimes just want to slow things down while they play and
not while they're like walking around. (Kind of like bullettime in max
payne or slow in prince of persia). It would be cool if your tool
could support that.

Cheers eelke

On 14/01/2008, Michael Ellison <devellison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>     Just wanted to post a note if any of ya'll are interested... I've
> started an open source project on SourceForge.net to create a suite of
> utilities to make modern Win32 games more accessible.  Currently
> trying to figure out a good way to do external captioning with Reid,
> and I have a few other utility projects going at the moment.
>
> I've finished my first prototype utility using the common libraries
> I'm building up.  It is called GASThrottle, and should allow you to
> slow down many modern games on Windows to 10%-90% speed.  I've tested
> it with Doom 3 and Far Cry with great success, and others with mixed
> results - e.g. it crashes BioShock ;( .  When I looked, I didn't find
> much out there that did this for modern games that worked, although I
> found a few that didn't and some that work *great* for old DOS games.
>
> If there is already a free utility out there that does this well,
> please tell me :)
> Right now it's just a command line app, but if it looks useful to
> people I'll eventually make it all nice and pretty.
>
> Anyway, if anyone has ideas/suggestions on this or other utilities to
> add to the suite, please email me or post in the project's
> forums/tracker.
>
> Download page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=212119&package_id=258851
> Code Docs: http://gameaccess.sourceforge.net
> Project URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gameaccess
> Source Repository:
> https://gameaccess.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gameaccess/trunk/
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com