[games_access] Game control question...

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 20 22:54:43 EST 2008

>I haven't read this whole thread but I suggest we can make GA an
>easier sell by saying they work for everyone, not just the disabled. I
>got as much email from foreign language players who wanted to use
>Doom3[CC] to learn English as I did from deaf players.

Reid -- as you know I agree with this although I do have a fear
(rational or not) that "for everyone" will quickly exclude a lot if
there aren't watchdog groups like ours to remind people that "for
everyone" does mean "everyone."

That being said...the most interesting thing about my recent
discussions with Emotiv is how little they have considered their
product to be an accessibility tool (at least according to the
current company leadership). This reminds me of GDC years ago when
we'd go up to a company and tell them how their product could also
help, say, blind gamers and the look of horror on their faces as they
muttered something about "...but we don't want to be seen as JUST a
disability company." But the good news is that Emotiv and other
companies reactions now are not taking these comments as a potential
liability should word get out that their product helps people with
disability XYZ. Instead they seem much more interested in learning
more. Sure, the current state of the US economy is probably having an
influence on people wanting to market their product as much as
possible, in as many ways as possible. But I don't think it's
*entirely* that -- maybe thanks to Nintendo's bravery more companies
are getting it. I can STILL remember all the snickers they got at
their keynote at GDC 2006, as people banked more and more on the PS3
-- oh how time changes everything.

I wonder what has happened to Brainfingers/Cyberlink? It seems like
they've moved off the radar as far as brain controlled interfaces go
and they were pioneers in the area.