[games_access] Gamasutra Game Audio Article (which is useful for game audio accessibility)

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 20:14:42 EST 2008

Hi Sander/Richard,

Very interesting article. I like the framework but where would the
sounds & music of a rhythm playing game like guitar hero fit it? I'm
assuming it's part of the diegetic but i'm unsure if it is effect or
zone. The music itself kind of provides the storyline (diegetic) but
the music is not used for ambience but really to guide the player (so
i'ts not zone); its a primary stimuli in addition to primary visual
stimuli (notes on the screen). The sound of missing a note which leads
to hearing a false note is probably an effect?

cheers Eelke

On 23/01/2008, AudioGames.net <richard at audiogames.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today Gamasutra.com has published an article that we (Sander and Richard)
> wrote as part of our PhD study of game audio. It is titled "IEZA: A
> Framework For Game Audio" and in it we present a structure for sound in
> games:
>
> http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3509/ieza_a_framework_for_game_audio.php
>
> This article covers 'structure' of game audio, and not yet 'functions' or
> 'performance' of game audio (which will be other articles and our theses). I
> believe the framework is very useful for discussing game audio accessibility
> solutions, because I think the framework shows the scope of what game audio
> accessibility should cover. I also think that it is a good idea to think
> about possible different solutions for the different categories of the
> framework.
>
> Greets,
>
> Richard

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com