[games_access] Fw: Game control question...

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Thu Jan 24 10:10:15 EST 2008

> Not trying be depressing, but if anyone has any ideas on available
> products or techniques that would help this person communicate, let me
> know or post 'em there ( blind, unable to speak, shoulder movement and
> weak neck/facial movement, but fully coherent and responsive ):
>
> http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5734.
>
> Hasn't responded to me yet, so she might have found something or just
> hasn't checked her email.  Seems like a basic communication app would
> be simple enough modeled after the whitepaper I posted, but I didn't
> see any available products that provided the functionality when I did
> a quick search.

What about a head-tracker? I'm wondering about Natural Point's SmartNav head-tracker used in conjuction with a screen magnifier?

Could open up a Word document then use the Accessibility options XP has built in to suit (e.g. on-screen keyboard with dwell click and the magnifier). You could spell out words in that way although it's a bit clunky.

If that didn't work - what about trying the free software utility "TrackMapper" with the SmartNAV head-tracker which allows you to assign key-strokes to certain tracked positions.

With clever positioning of the camera and reflective dot - you can get the device to track finger movements, shoulder movements and so on. Big movements are not needed either.

Imagine if you mapped the top half of the tracking zones to trigger a SPACE BAR stroke. A good testing area for this would be SEN Switcher: http://www.northerngrid.org/ngflwebsite/sen/intro.htm to develop basic skills. From there - the On Screen Keyboard can be set to work in a one-switch scan and select mode.

With practice much more could be opened up.

There's other solutions - but this one is not too expensive and can be tried in a number of ways.

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk