[games_access] games_access Digest, Vol 50, Issue 21

Samuel Franco sam at frado.net
Mon Jul 28 04:52:08 EDT 2008


Samuel Franco Domínguez

Hello everybody
Sorry for my english.
I have to tell you about what I am doing about Game Accesibility.
Everything I am doing is for free. I have get some inscripitions to
conferences on disability to talk about my work and have add a poter or a
comunicationa about game accesibility and games for health uses.
I work now in Toledo, Spain in the National Hospital for Spinal Cord
Injuries. In Research, Inovation, and Developement Department on
Biomechanics and Assistive Tecnology. We are 8 persons Working here, three
Engineeers, one Ocupational therapist, one physiotherapist one sports
specialist and two Rehabilitation and physical medicine Specialist.
Accesibility games is my hobby not my work, but anyway I try to mix them
when it is posible. I
As I am a Rehabilitation and physcical medicine specialist I have gone to
the Spanis Rehabilitation and physical medicine conference carring a
poster about game accesibiliy, also to Childrens nacional society of
Rehabilitation.
I when for free to a conference about assistive technoloy here in Spain.
Everywhere i go, talk about GameAccesibility. and add links to your web
page.


Most of the information came from GameAccssibility and i have to say
Thanks. But not only me. I have been answering questions about game
accessibility in my personal e-mail for 60 persons with disabilities here
in Spain. I tralate information from you. And get resources here in Spain.
I am helping in the organization of an inclusive LAN PARTY and in the
developement of accesible e-learning videogames. But i do this fro free by
now.

Now I am more interested on Games Fof Health.
One of the projects I am working in is in the use of virtual reality
videogames for spinal cord injury Ocupational Therapy. This project is 1,6
millon Euros. The company that is doing it is called Indra and some of the
money comes from Fundación Rafael del Pino. He was a rich man how had an
accident falling from his ship in Barbados Island and become a
tetraplejic.

But my work is mostly about biomechanics research and clinical asistance.



Thanks for everything.






games_access-request at igda.org

> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> games_access at igda.org

>

> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> games_access-request at igda.org

>

> You can reach the person managing the list at

> games_access-owner at igda.org

>

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

>

>

> Today's Topics:

>

> 1. Re: Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew (Barrie Ellis)

> 2. Re: Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew (d. michelle hinn)

> 3. Introduction (Sandra Uhling)

> 4. Re: Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew (AudioGames.net)

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Message: 1

> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:29:27 +0100

> From: "Barrie Ellis" <barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

> <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <010801c8efcb$4446f680$9901a8c0 at oneswitch>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>

> Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in HebrewSome international

> articles and bits and bobs on accessible gaming:

>

> http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/search/label/international - links to

> Brazillian, French, Spanish and Hebrew articles.

>

> http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=62680e39712b86b4052d834dfe89890f&threadid=19358

> - Japanese.

>

> And there's related stuff over the web too for the likes of Europe,

> Greece, USA, the Far East and the like.

>

> I'd love to see some from Africa, Australasia, other parts of the middle

> east. Articles for every continent shouldn't be too hard should it?

>

> Barrie

> www.OneSwitch.org.uk

>

>

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: d. michelle hinn

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:53 AM

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

>

>

> Nice! I recognize a lot of the images from other locations! :) But as

> long as it helps get the word out, I have no problem with that!

>

>

> Actually I know a family in Israel that might help translate the article

> or at least the gist of it so we can post that especially if it has some

> different points of view and/or points us to others who are working in

> the area.

>

>

> I don't know of any Arabic articles but it would be great to have a map

> of where news about accessibility has been covered! I'm always telling

> the IGDA that we're the only SIG that puts the "international" into the

> IGDA -- seriously, we have the most global SIG (they've checked!). I'm

> sure that helps us get the word out to journalists from all over the

> world!

>

>

> Next stop? Mars. ;)

>

>

> Michelle

>

>

> http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/2008/07/in-israel.html

>

> Three very good looking game accessibility articles - I can't read

> them - but it's fantastic to know that this stuff is getting a wider

> audience.

>

> Any Arabic articles out there?

>

> Barrie

> www.OneSwitch.org.uk

>

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> -------------- next part --------------

> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> URL:

> <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20080727/58d8cdbe/attachment.htm>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 2

> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 04:58:15 -0500

> From: "d. michelle hinn" <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <p06230923c4b1f38aa899@[192.168.2.3]>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"

>

> Yes, I doubt that the magazine meant anything bad by it -- it's also

> freely available from their website (can't quite tell if they are a

> gaming magazine or a general news magazine or what). Mainly I just

> want to be sure that if it is a mirror image that proper credit is

> given that feels fair to Richard.

>

> Richard is the one to answer the GA.com questions -- originally there

> was talk of having it under the SIGs control so that we had a decent

> website and could carry the project on.

>

> On the GASIG site news...I'm beta testing the new IGDA stuff -- can

> you believe it? FINALLY this new system will be up and running.

> Thanks to Mark's generosity we own GASIG.com so we can have that

> redirected to the IGDA SIG site -- whatever we decide to do.

> Personally I think it would be great if we had the SIG site be a

> little GA.com, a little IGDA, and a lot of us! We're mainly after the

> developers. Sites like yours (Barrie) and Mark's (not to exclude

> anyone like D Gamer or any other sites -- just making a quick point

> here) is that they reach the consumers, which is the side that we

> also need to court since these are the potential gamers that we are

> trying to get the game companies to include! So I'm glad that there

> are a few excellent consumer aimed community sites out there as SIG

> partners!!

>

> Anyone interested in helping me move content over and beta test the

> new IGDA web tech? It can do a LOT and a lot of stuff we may or may

> not need. One thing I'm not happy about is that there is talk of

> having everyone on this list resubscribe to the new list on the new

> system (don't worry -- it's not yet operational). A lot of other SIG

> chairs have raised some h*** about it so hopefully they will not make

> this a big pain in our behinds. And because we WANT everyone to

> access our work, were one of the few SIGs that will have no barriers

> to access (as long as people sign up for the free access then they

> can access everything we have). Other SIGs operate in other ways and

> thus want to have people pay access fees for their reports and such.

> We're not there yet!! We want to give this info away!! But we also

> want corporate sponsors to help keep it free -- I'm working on it! :)

>

> In other related news, the GA SIG and other diversity SIGs are going

> to be working on a slick brochure to give out at GDC and the like --

> perhaps even paying to put them in the registration bags and such!

> There are about 4 Diversity SIGs and if we pool our resources, we can

> all benefit!

>

> Right now? I'm finishing the GDC proposals -- this year's deadline

> came up SUPER early but thank goodness we have 5 year's worth of

> proposals to reword, etc. :)

>

> Michelle

>

>>Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess? That's for you

>>to decide Richard!

>>

>>In their defence - at the very top of each article - there is a link

>>directly to Game-Accessibility.com equivalent - so they have given

>>credit. Maybe they found it hard to find someone to ask at GA.com?

>>Is this e-mail still active: gaccessibility [ A . T ] gmail.com?

>>

>>It just reminds me that the Game-Accessibility.com project was/is a

>>very fine one, with some excellent articles - and it's such a shame

>>to see it sitting stagnating...

>>

>>Is there any chance of control being passed over to the IGDA GASIG

>>group, Richard? I'd really like to be given admin privledges over

>>all the forum topics so I can kill off some of the spamming that's

>>spoiling it.

>>

>>With things being so up in the air over the GASIG site - it would be

>>nice to carry things on at GA.com. I just worry about how long term

>>the site will sit there. When the hosting package runs out - what

>>happens then? Will it just vanish? That concern makes me not what to

>>plough too much effort into it right now.

>>

>>Barrie

>>www.OneSwitch.org.uk

>>

>>

>>

>>----- Original Message ----- From: AudioGames.net

>>To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>>Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:54 AM

>>Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

>>

>>

>>Hi,

>>

>>Err... maybe there is already an English translation of these pages

>>out there... "somewhere"... :

>>

>>

>>http://aisrael.org/Index.asp?CategoryID=813&ArticleID=10090 =

>>http://www.game-accessibility.com/index.php?pagefile=visual ?

>>

>>http://aisrael.org/Index.asp?CategoryID=813&ArticleID=12009 =

>>http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=soundalternative

>>+ http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=auditory ?

>>

>>http://aisrael.org/Index.asp?CategoryID=813&ArticleID=11153 =

>>http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=motoric ?

>>

>>

>>?

>>

>>Greets,

>>

>>Richard

>>

>>

>>

>>----- Original Message ----- From: Barrie Ellis

>>To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>>Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:22 AM

>>Subject: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

>>

>>

>>http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/2008/07/in-israel.html

>>

>>Three very good looking game accessibility articles - I can't read

>>them - but it's fantastic to know that this stuff is getting a wider

>>audience.

>>

>>Any Arabic articles out there?

>>

>>Barrie

>>www.OneSwitch.org.uk

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>_______________________________________________

>>games_access mailing list

>>games_access at igda.org

>>http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>_______________________________________________

>>games_access mailing list

>>games_access at igda.org

>>http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>

>>_______________________________________________

>>games_access mailing list

>>games_access at igda.org

>>http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 3

> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:09:59 +0200

> From: Sandra Uhling <sandra_uhling at web.de>

> Subject: [games_access] Introduction

> To: games_access at igda.org

> Message-ID: <369079482 at web.de>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15

>

> Hello,

>

> About me:

> I am Sandra from Germany and study Computer Science in Media.

> I started a private Initiative for machine dance (DDR), added exergaming,

> added Games for health and now added game accessibility.

>

> My main work is to learn about these topics, collect information and

> contacts.

> When I think that someone can need it, I send the information/contacts to

> her/him.

>

>

> German Game Event:

> I have also contact to an organisator of a game event in germany.

> I am looking for film, products and other things that can be shown there.

>

>

> Contacts:

> I am looking for contacts in Germany.

> You can find my profile in xing.com

>

>

> www.Game-Accessibility.com

> I think also that Game-Accessibility.com is very good.

> This is one of my favourite resources at the moment.

> Special the "Sound Alternative" article is very great.

> Maybe it is possible to make and get an backup ?

> Videos: it is easy to "repair" the links.

> (They do not work with my mediaplayer. But

> in the link there is the address of the video).

> It has more information as the White Paper.

>

>

> White Paper:

> http://www.igda.org/accessibility/IGDA_Accessibility_WhitePaper.pdf

> Is there an official link to this white paper ?

> Is there an up to date version of the white paper ?

>

>

> Cheats & Accessibility:

> At the moment I learn about Game Accessibility.

> And I am wondering how cheats can help to make games more accessible.

> Unfortunately cheats are often enabled after finishing some tasks.

>

> For example Tomb Raider Anniversary.

> * All Weappon: can make "killing" enemies easier

> * enemie is dead with one shot: can help to "kill" enemies

> * Lara never dies, healthy

> * texturless play, maybe this can help people with low vision

> * breathe under water: can help for swimming and diving

>

> The most interesting thing is the texturless play.

> I would like to know if this can help people or does it make

> the play also difficult ? Can it be used to make the game easier for

> people with low visions ?

>

> Also other gameplay things can maybe help:

> Selecting the clothes for Lara. Maybe an all black or all white,

> or whatever can help too ?

>

>

> Maybe nice software:

> I do beta testing for CamSpace.

> There is still lots of things to do,

> but the idea and the basic software is very good.

> http://www.camspace.com/

>

>

> Regards,

> Sandra Uhling

>

> www.MachineDance.de

>

>

>

>

> _________________________________________________________________________

> In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!

> Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 4

> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:15:33 +0200

> From: "AudioGames.net" <richard at audiogames.net>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

> <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <002801c8efd1$b4b31e20$6402a8c0 at Delletje>

> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";

> reply-type=response

>

> Hi,

>

> Good questions. Don't know if the email still works but as far as I know,

> the Accessibility foundation has definitely abandoned the project. Sander

> and I used to keep the spam from the forum for several months after we

> left,

> but since no-one at my former job picked it up, we gradually ended our

> activities on the website. Same goes for the conversations about

> collaborating with GA-SIG, which came to a stop months ago.

>

> So...

>

> I suggest I (or we) try and make one final effort to try and establish

> either some sort of hand-over-to-the-SIG or some sort of

> SIG-collaboration.

> I'll email my former boss (who of course will be on holiday now, but oh

> well). If once more that effort leads to nothing, I guess it's better to

> let the site "vanish" and put our efforts in another (SIG) website.

>

> Next to a specialized website, I also suggest using existing platforms

> such

> as Wikipedia and Google Knol (http://knol.google.com/) to gain extra

> coverage.

>

> Will let you know about GA.com. I personally hope it can just be handed

> over

> to the SIG... oh, and about the Forum: ?f I can still get in, I'll give

> you

> admin priveledges.

>

> Greets,

>

> Richard

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: "Barrie Ellis" <barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk>

> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List" <games_access at igda.org>

> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:21 AM

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

>

>

>> Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess? That's for you to

>> decide Richard!

>>

>> In their defence - at the very top of each article - there is a link

>> directly to Game-Accessibility.com equivalent - so they have given

>> credit.

>> Maybe they found it hard to find someone to ask at GA.com? Is this

>> e-mail

>> still active: gaccessibility [ A . T ] gmail.com?

>>

>> It just reminds me that the Game-Accessibility.com project was/is a very

>> fine one, with some excellent articles - and it's such a shame to see it

>> sitting stagnating...

>>

>> Is there any chance of control being passed over to the IGDA GASIG

>> group,

>> Richard? I'd really like to be given admin privledges over all the forum

>> topics so I can kill off some of the spamming that's spoiling it.

>>

>> With things being so up in the air over the GASIG site - it would be

>> nice

>> to carry things on at GA.com. I just worry about how long term the site

>> will sit there. When the hosting package runs out - what happens then?

>> Will it just vanish? That concern makes me not what to plough too much

>> effort into it right now.

>>

>> Barrie

>> www.OneSwitch.org.uk

>>

>>

>>

>> ----- Original Message -----

>> From: AudioGames.net

>> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:54 AM

>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

>>

>>

>> Hi,

>>

>> Err... maybe there is already an English translation of these pages out

>> there... "somewhere"... :

>>

>>

>> http://aisrael.org/Index.asp?CategoryID=813&ArticleID=10090 =

>> http://www.game-accessibility.com/index.php?pagefile=visual ?

>>

>> http://aisrael.org/Index.asp?CategoryID=813&ArticleID=12009 =

>> http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=soundalternative +

>> http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=auditory ?

>>

>> http://aisrael.org/Index.asp?CategoryID=813&ArticleID=11153 =

>> http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=motoric ?

>>

>>

>> ?

>>

>> Greets,

>>

>> Richard

>>

>>

>>

>> ----- Original Message -----

>> From: Barrie Ellis

>> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:22 AM

>> Subject: [games_access] Game Accessibility articles in Hebrew

>>

>>

>> http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/2008/07/in-israel.html

>>

>> Three very good looking game accessibility articles - I can't read them

>> -

>> but it's fantastic to know that this stuff is getting a wider audience.

>>

>> Any Arabic articles out there?

>>

>> Barrie

>> www.OneSwitch.org.uk

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> games_access mailing list

>> games_access at igda.org

>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> games_access mailing list

>> games_access at igda.org

>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> games_access mailing list

>> games_access at igda.org

>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>

>

> End of games_access Digest, Vol 50, Issue 21

> ********************************************

>







More information about the games_access mailing list