[games_access] Publishing Work on Accessible Level Editing

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 17:03:10 EDT 2008

Hi Colin,

It makes a big difference whether you submit to a game conference or
to traditional HCI conferences. Academic Game conferences in my
opinion are still up and coming. Its also kind of hard to compete with
fancy game engines and cool new technologies for creating games,
though it is easier to get in touch with industry. The domain of HCI
is more established and you are bound to get more constructive
feedback on your work. The past few years several game related papers
have been presented at HCI related conferences.

I can recommend:
http://www.sigaccess.org/assets08/ (deadline already passed) or
http://www.chi2009.org/  (september 19th)

Cheers Eelke

On 11/06/2008, Graham McAllister <g.mcallister at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> I'm not aware of any specific conferences in accessible games, but perhaps
> Advances in Computer Entertainment
> (http://www.ace-conf.org/ace2008/) might be a possibility?
> The deadline for full papers is 15 July.
>
> There were a few interesting deadlines that have just passed such as the
> CHArt conference
> (http://www.chart.ac.uk/chart2008/index.html).
>
> Cheers,
> Graham.
>

> Graham McAllister, PhD
> Senior Lecturer in Human-Computer Interaction
> University of Sussex
> Brighton
> UK
>
> On 11 Jun 2008, at 17:09, Colin H C Machin wrote:
>

>  I am the PhD supervisor to Matthew Atkinson, whom many of you will know as
> a leading light in the AGRIP Project, the home of the accessible 3D
> first-person shooter game for blind people, AudioQuake.  We have been doing
> some work on Level Editing for AudioQuake and in particular making it
> accessible, so that blind people can participate in level building.  We are
> looking for a suitable outlet for an acadeic paper on our work and on the
> results of some trials that we have been doing.  We wondered if any of you
> have any links with or otherwise know of forthcoming conferences where this
> kind of work would be of interest.
>
>  Colin Machin
>  Department of Computer Science
>  Loughborough University
>  UK

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.eelke.com