[games_access] language thread, was The Human Controller

Kestrell kestrell at panix.com
Sun Jun 15 14:42:28 EDT 2008

Thomas,

I'm a blind media scholar and technology advocate, and I actually prefer the
term "blind" as it seems to me the most descriptive term for the complete
lack of eyesight that I have (I have two prosthetic eyes, so I am, as I
sometimes end up saying, "really blind" (this after the argument I have
every so often with people who say, "But you're not *really* blind, right?
You have some vision, right? I mean, you look at me when I'm talking...").

I don't find the word "blind" an offensive word; it is the assumptions
people make about the effects of blindness that sometimes make me boggle.

Kes
Reading in the Dark
http://kestrell.livejournal.com