[games_access] Fw: Eye Tracker Gaming

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Jun 30 19:06:09 EDT 2008

Some great links here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIjWA8CHls - Eye Tracker to play World of Warcraft
"The video shows eye gaze interaction with World of Warcraft using our "Snap Clutch" software; developed at De Montfort University, UK in collaboration with University of Tampere, Finland. The software allows us to change quickly between interaction modes to allow for a more real-time gaming experience. This research will be presented at ETRA 2008, US. For more information on the project please visit: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~svickers/ and http://www.cogain.org/"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_ybvhfIDg - Eye Tracking on the Wii (experiment):
"We do some eyetracking using the RIT Portable Eyetracker [Babcock & Pelz, ETRA 2004] while playing the Nintendo Wii visual search game. This was conducted in the Multidisciplinary Vision Research Lab. The three interns, and a PhD student ran this experiment when the two professors were gone for the day. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGehsY7pcrc&NR=1 - Eye Tracking for aiming in Sega's House of the Dead. Clicking the mouse used for fire (obviously auto-fire needed here - and a way to slow the game down. Many people in need of an eye-tracker would not have the reactions to keep up with this high speed game).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerNYpd_2_A&NR=1 - Short news clip on Eye Tracker technology. Many eye tracker users I've been made aware of lately use Sensory Software's "The Grid" as a way of access.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXqHR_s3T74 - Shows just how limited some control is... but... how flexible is The Grid I wonder. Can this overlay existing games?

Games that allow you to take as long as you like to aim, then have a single click to select might be ideal with the right sort of Grid overlay. Games such as Everybody's Golf, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe - mini-game Pool and Peggle might work really well with such an interface with a little tweaking. Does anyone out there have much experience of using the Grid with PC games?

I understand that the likes of Sensory Software's "Switch Friendly Games" can work very well for some eye-tracker users: http://www.sensorysoftware.com/switchfriendlygames.html - but I'd love to learn what else works... Especially after speaking to a member of the COGAIN team saying that many head-tracker/mouse based games that need very precise control can be quite fun to play for her with an Eye-tracker - but those with less accurate control will find near impossible...

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk