[games_access] Color Blindness and Gaming Article

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Sat Mar 1 18:11:50 EST 2008

A consulting client just had me make a color-blind accessible interface.
Seems that a Very Important User, i.e., someone with $$, is color blind.

What I found out after some research is that from a UI perspective, it's an
issue of spectrum.

Each of the 3 color blind types has a much more limited color spectrum
available.
This makes it harder for the UI designer to assign colors, because there
are fewer colors to assign.

To some degree this can be mitigated by labels, fonts, patterns, shape,
brightness, and motion.

However, Iin the case of pie charts, where the items are not necessarily
ordinal and there may not be room for labels or patterns, this is
particularly difficult. What you end up doing is picking judiciously from
the very limited set of colors available.

British Telcom has some immediately useful stuff on this at:
http://www.btplc.com/age_disability/technology/RandD/colours/palfiles.htm

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software