[games_access] GDC 2008 Debrief

Matthias Troup foreversublime at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:04:31 EST 2008

Thomas and everyone interested in next year's GDC,

GDC San Francisco will be hoted during  "...the more civilized dates of March 23-27, 2009"

I liked the early timing of GDC 2008.  Coupled with the federal holiday I only had to take off 4 days scheduled vacation from work instead of 5.

-Matt

From: thomas at pininteractive.comTo: games_access at igda.orgDate: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:32:39 +0100CC: goran at pininteractive.comSubject: Re: [games_access] GDC 2008 DebriefHi,

hehe blocking all exits until the task  is done, sounds like a game scenario. Just add a high score list on the wall.

I like the concept of mobile viral, social marketing :) Next year we can expand that with having people compete about getting as many as possible to our sessions, and compete about a prize (some nice access stuff)

Glad to hear the DVDs worked out fine; a big thanks to Reid for making that a success.

I hope I can attend next year, but I'm planning a vacation next spring with my kids. Is next year's GDC already planned with dates?

Other avenues: Göran and I is working on setting up an access arcade at Dreamhack by the end of November - the world's largest LAN party with over 10.000 gamers playing 24-7 for three days. It's held in Sweden two times each year (Winter and Summer). It's a great way to reach out to all the gamers with the IGDA and the SIG.
If we can get some more people from the SIG to attend it would be great. If not, at Dreamhack they have very good fiber connection so having an online presentation via video could also be worth a try. That way we also save the environment a bit to not travel by air across the world.
Have a look at http://web.dreamhack.se/index.php?language=en

Something for IGDA and Tom B. defending game companies:
I was at Dreamhack last year representing the university, and it's amazing to see how 10.000 kids get along with no fighting or drinking (except Coca Cola and in-game frags). That is something people complaining about violent games should see.

Also, Göran would like to be on the list of Committees. He would like to add a Committee if possible, or just be listed as a member. The added committee would be Digital Culture Committee - which would focus on accessibility in a cultural perspective. Göran can explain the theory in detail much better than me so I leave that to him.

/Thomas