[games_access] A few thoughts

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 28 20:04:14 EDT 2008

Hi Jason -- I agree with all four of your suggestions and these are
projects that we are (and have been for years) working on but
definitely need more people power to pull off. 2-4 are things we've
definitely been pushing for years and have lists on that we've handed
out, put on the web, etc (and we are getting close to #3 with regard
to ratings -- the ESA that runs the ESRB show has given us funding).

But #1 is the one that we need the most help with -- having societies
that advocate for specific disabilities adding in questions about "do
you play video games" "if not, would you like to if they were more
accessible" would be a big help. I think it's a great idea and if we
can identify a few organizations like the MS group to partner with
us, that would be terrific. It's much more palatable (and productive)
than getting them to join in with us on a lawsuit as has been
suggested before. This is what we've discussed to death on this list;
that is, the issue of a lawsuit doing exactly nothing for the cause
and instead winding up alienating the developers we work with and
ending up with court cases that don't get settled for years and years
(meanwhile the company being sued went out of business for other
reasons years ago). Instead a way to approach groups that represent
different disability groups to survey members on quality of life
issues that included leisure activities like gaming would be a much
more productive way to go.

Michelle