[games_access] A few thoughts

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Fri Mar 28 22:08:30 EDT 2008

The rating system I was mentioning is one we at 7-128 developed to identify
which of our games have accessibility accommodations for a specific need -
example, for players who are blind, motion impaired, color blind, deaf and
so forth.

In addition, we need to have a rating system that evaluates the game
suitability, much as the ESRB rating does.  The problem with ESRB is that
it costs a great deal to become rated and as far as I have been able to
determine, a simple casual game costs the same as a major game from one of
the large game developers.  Add to that the problem that most retail
outlets won't stock a game that is NOT ESRB rated, and you have something
that keeps many small developers out of the market.  These developers are
the ones who are far more likely to be willing to look at a market segment
that is not the standard market for computer games.

The ALERT project is our attempt to assist teachers and care-givers to
select and use accessible computer games for people who would benefit from
them.   We tried to list the accommodations to look for in accessible games
for each category.

You can access the ALERT project by going to www.7128.com and scrolling
down to the ALERT button.