[games_access] Accessible Game Design Initiative, in planning phase now.

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Wed Jan 28 04:02:50 EST 2009

Hi,

*quote*
The sad fact is that the GD SIG folks will undoubtedly focus mostly on stuff
other than accessibility.
*quote end*

In my opinion it's simply a fact, not really "sad". I think it's merely
important to show game designers what the true potential of "accessible game
design" [1] is for them. In my opinion, Accessible Game Design is not about
making the game Interface accessible (with accessible input technology or
with accessible output technology, including the (re-)rendering of
information and transformation of one medium to another) [2]. It is about
make the actual game design accessible. This involves new ways of dealing
with existing game design paramaters (such as adaptive parameters) and maybe
finding new parameters (which could actually lead to new exciting game
designs).
For the past few years that I've been involved with game accessibility I
found that this field is on a gliding scale ranging from "easy game
accessibility" to "difficult game accessibility". There are accessibility
issues that are relatively easy to solve but there are also issues for which
no solution is apparant. I have the thesis that the simple issues are more
related to the interfaces of games and that the difficult issues are more
related to game design. And that there is also a relationship between the
two: sometimes making a game interface accessible will still leave the game
inaccessible - or not fun (my #6 in my 9+1 Game Accessibility Key Points
document).

So... I think it is just right that GD SIG folks focus on Game Design (it's
what the SIG is for). Because I think it is that expertise that is needed to
tackle difficult game accessibility issues.

Greets,

Richard

[1] see other thread...
[2] which would be Accessible Game Interface Design (with Interface *not*
referring to the in-game HUD ;)