[games_access] GDC Germany

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 30 13:58:08 EST 2009

GDC (it's GamesCom/GDC/something else) is in
Cologne (http://www.gdceurope.com/). Leipzig, the
old version, is dead but there's a new company
that took it over. It was all over some game news
sites yesterday. So, yes, it still exists...but
it's no longer the same company so now who knows
how it will go now. :

I'm collecting info on the big gaming news sites
(US and UK versions) so I can forward that.

Yes, the game industry changes everywhere a
lot...now E3 is back! But because they are
different companies running them all the time,
it's hard to know what the quality will be until
it's over because there's no track record with
the new companies. Very frustrating when you go
because you hope it will be big and then...if it
isn't then you feel like you didn't reach as many
people as the travel, etc was worth. Still,
reaching out to anyone is always good...but these
days when you travel you want that to be as many
people as possible!!

If you have info on Cologne, please let me know
off list -- it sounds like it's a nice region of
Germany. I'm looking forward to it because I've
been so sick for almost two years and now I
finally can go to conferences and enjoy the event
and the town and not just give a talk and spend
the rest of the time sick at the hotel.

Michelle