[games_access] what to have in an accessibility arcade?

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sun Mar 8 06:51:37 EDT 2009

Hi Thomas,

I'd recommend having a sift through the Accessible Gaming Shop here:

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS.htm

My personal recommendations?

Switches: Have always liked Able-Net switches (come in three different sizes
and all different colours) as these are so tough and well made.

Switch Interface: Loads here:
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-switch/3/Console.htm.

a. Best PS3 switch interface: Playstation SAP adapter from LEPMIS - but
needs lots of additional switches and controllers to make comfortable to
use.

b. Best all rounder: C-SID. All controls are digital in effect (although the
Xbox 360 allows you to connect a wired JoyPad that you can use the analogue
controls with). The C-SID can connect to PC and PS2 from the go. With
additional adapters can connect to Xbox 360, PS3, Wii (as a JoyPad),
Gamecube, Xbox or Dreamcast (no analogue stick facility for DC).

c. Great starting point: Dream-Gamer controller - with a choice of
head-controller, mini-joystick or extra switch sockets.

Cheapest: RJ Cooper Game Controllers

Sip-Puff: I've only ever used Origin's Sip/Puff switches - but they worked
very well: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-switch/1/switches.htm

Haptics: Would bow to others with more knowledge on this.

Audio: Ditto.

Single-hand Controllers: I have had a number of people complain that they
have not got on with the Access Controller. I'd recommend a DragonPlus RPG
DuoCon2 - if you can get hold of one. I have some old ones that need
repairing - but nothing new at the minute.

Hand-held Dance Mats: Have these in - only type I'm aware of
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-various.htm

Large Joystick: Quasicon - if you can get hold of one. Works great on most
games consoles.

Switch Mounts: Flexzi and Maxcess are recommended.

Head-Tracker: Take a look here:
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-head.htm - I like natural point.

Hope that's of some help?

Barrie