[games_access] disability or limitation?

D. Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 3 18:41:51 EST 2009

Ooh...those are two hard words to see (first paragraph of message
below) even though I do understand the context from the point of view
of people trying to reclaim the terms. Those terms have so much
hatred in them that I can't even type them. Because of my country's
history (US), these terms are so loaded that you'll find a lot of us
here have trouble feeling like we should even spell them out.

As for color...This past year, the Black College Football Xperience
[spelled as is] came out for the Xbox 360 to a gaming audience that
did not understand that "black college" meant "historically black
colleges and universities" [HBCU]'s, which have a rich and vibrant
culture to those of us in the US that know about them. But outside
the Washington DC area and the Southeast, not many people realize
that the title is not "The Black" "College Football" but "The" "Black
College." Search on IGN or even Amazon.com for a view of the
controversy over that game, primarily stemming from those that do not
understand that it's a university system. The closest comparison I
can think of is the Ivy Leagues. But if someone came out with "the
ivy league college" game it would be more recognizable by more. When
I first heard of it, I knew what the game represented because I grew
up in a state with several HBCU's . But, again, context IS
everything! The gaming forums took a very unfortunate road, IMHO...we
may have a black president but the scars of racism have far from healed.

Race descriptors are hard, no doubt. And African-American is not a
term that makes any sense in the UK, for example, unless you are
talking about a person with descendants from Africa who is or was
American (and then there's the "does 'american' mean US or anyone
from North, Central, or South America question). And, yes, color
isn't very accurate when we get down to the color wheel, although my
skin is so pale that it's practically clear and I'm not sure there's
a color for that (perhaps it defies color descriptors). ;)

Anyway, off topic but I felt it was important to mention how loaded
these terms can get to put them into context for those outside the US.

Michelle