[games_access] developing system for hearing impaired

Karen Collins collinsk at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 1 08:25:51 EDT 2009

Thanks for the suggestion, Javier. We have also built a black and white
version for that very reason.

As for the anonymous comment about "patent pending" I honestly
understand the skepticism--to many people it might raise a red flag that
we're out to make money. Unfortunately having "commercializable IP" is a
requirement now for most funding bodies in Canada (e.g. NSERC, C4,
etc.). It was a *requirement* to file a patent application in order to
get funds to build and test this project. Anybody who knows me, however,
knows I'm not out to make money. Trust me, if I wanted to get rich, I
wouldn't have become an academic! I don't even control the IP: the
university owns it. My goal is to help people, however I can.

Karen