[games_access] developing system for hearing impaired

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Tue Sep 1 07:18:04 EDT 2009

Hi Karen,

Nice to see you on this list as well and that you too are exploring
alternatives to sound in games. I guess you are already aware of the article
I wrote about this subject, but just in case you aren't, here's the link:

http://www.accessibility.nl/games/index.php?pagefile=soundalternative

I have only watched the movies on your site and have not yet played the
example game but will do so when I have time. I'm wondering: what is your
solution for sounds / sound sources that cannot be represented by iconic
signs, especially when there are more sounds playing that are important for
gameplay? For instance, introduce a new (non-)iconic sign language, or use
an existing sign language, such as text/textual descriptions (see my sound
balloons* example in the article)? Or something else?

In your Island-example the gameplay focuses on finding the crystals. Why did
you choose to use the tick-sign, and not merely an iconic representation of
the game objective - the crystal? To me it seems like a weird design
decision. Also, the design is comprimised of three signs: a triangle
indicating "direction", a tick-icon indicating "crystal/good/gameobjective"
** and colour indicating "good". Why did you choose to make a combination of
these three, while you could easily convey the same information with a much
simpler design such as a (color-blind accessible) colored arrow (like the
TomTom WoW-addon:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7032-TomTom.html ) ?

And have you considered animating your signs?

If you are interested a European partner, email me.

Best regards,

Richard

* one benefit of adding diegetic properties to the design of the sign (in
the case of sound balloons, tying it to a location in the gameworld) is that
the focus of the player is stimulated to remain in the diegetic part of the
gameworld, and does not focus the player to switch his/her focus between the
diegetic part of the gameworld and the non-diegetic part of the gameworld
(HUD).

** ? if you are unaware of the game context/objective (finding crystals)
this sign is very unclear.