[games_access] [CC] - was Conference in Barcelona

Richard @ AudioGames richard at audiogames.net
Wed Dec 15 06:38:51 EST 2010

Hi guys,

@Sandra... Since you quite often post questions concerning the naming of certain concepts, the following might interest you and bring you a bit further:

http://creativehero.es/download/files/adaptingmedia_richardvantol.jpg

This is a schematic I made a couple of years ago, as an exercise just to get an overview of different adaptations of media into other media.I don't find it really accurate anymore and I've been meaning to make an improved one but life has gotten in the way so far ;)

As it might be a bit overwhelming, I'll explain what's depicted in the illustration:

Up above I've picked the 4 most generally used media in games: video, audio, text and force feedback. I could have picked more, like scent or something, but as this was just meant as a sketch, I didn't want to make it too big. (As you may notice, there is already a discrepancy here: "text" is not really a medium, but really a sign language. This is one of the things I'd like to improve ;) )

Then there are three 'transformers': "text descriptor" - basically something that transforms a medium into a textual description of that medium, "visualizer" - basically something that transforms a medium into something that you can see and "sonifyer" - basically something that transforms a medium into something that you can hear. (Another discrepancy: you may notice that I didn't include a "vibrator" (or some other name ;) - basically something that would transform a medium into something that you can feel - I could have but I didn't for the sake of this sketch)

Then what comes out of these transformers is then outputted to three different devices: audio devices (speakers, headphones), video devices (screen), and text devices (speech synth, braille reader). (Discrepency number 3: speech synth should really be linked to an audio device, and the braille reader is something tactile)

The point of this sketch was to get an overview of the possibilities of adapting media into other media. As you can see, there are many different types and also some interesting relationships (such as audio > audio description text > audio captions)

Concerning the naming of accessibility concepts and methods: as you can see there are many types, even yet-undiscovered (at least for me) types, such as Force Feedback Captions (text on screen describing tactile feedback as an alternative). What I would suggest, when searching for a usuable terminology for types of alternatives, is to first get the big picture (something like this illustration) and try and find the simularities between the types of alternatives and base your namegiving on that.

Does  that make sense? Guys?

Greets,

Richard