[games_access] terminology

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Mon Dec 13 12:07:45 EST 2010


Hi,

I think they key is that there are bad words that should not be used.
We are talking about the more friendly terms. :-)


-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org [mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org] Im
Auftrag von Ryan Arndt
Gesendet: Montag, 13. Dezember 2010 17:46
An: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List
Cc: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List
Betreff: Re: [games_access] terminology

Yep it's an academic term that was used across the board when teaching
teachers in Alberta, Canada. Sounds like no one term will ever satisfy
regardless as it's so subjective.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-12-13, at 6:30 AM, Michelle Hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:


> Ok...before we make poor Ryan feel too bad for mentioning that

"differently abled" was the term that was used when he was in college, which
is a term that I think works better with certain cognitive/learning
disabilities if you follow the "multiple intelligences" theories...

>

> I think given that our role is to support both gamers with

disabilities/disabled gamers (and the myriad of terms we could come up with)
and developers with disabilities (see previous parenthetical!), we should be
careful to focus on the issues that help support these things and not be the
world authority on terminology. :)

>

> Clearly, there are many, many ways of terming "disability" (and, yes,

"differently abled" was, indeed, a term used as was handicappable!). And
like all sub-groups (and we are all a part of a sub-group in some way,
whether it is race, gender, sexuality, nationality, hair color, etc). But
lengthy discussions (and, yes, even I find it hard to avoid veering into) on
terms like this (important but not the focus of the SIG) only detract from
the group's role when there are many, many other groups who can and will and
have the time to discuss this at much greater length than we do. We also
area up against different language and regional terminology -- basically we
will never agree! And this is true whether we have a disability or not,
whether we prefer a medical or social model or intergalactic model (just
made that up to tease Barrie, mainly -- and isn't that purpose? ;) ), etc.

>

> So...let's talk about games and not focus so much on what we prefer to

refer to ourselves and others as -- as I said, there are entire academic
departments and advocacy organizations solely focused (or nearly so!) on
such things.

>

> (And, yes, I know this is not going to stop the discussions about the

discussion of what to call those with a disability! And even by saying
"disability" I know that just urked a few people.) :)

>

> Michelle

>

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 6:23 AM, BlazeEagle wrote:

>

>> "differently abled" is dorky & too "politically correct" sounding.

sheesh! lol

>>

>> Aaron

>>

>> --------------------------------------------------

>> From: <games_access-request at igda.org>

>> Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:10 PM

>> To: <games_access at igda.org>

>> Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 81, Issue 31

>>

>>> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>>

>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

>>> games_access-request at igda.org

>>>

>>> You can reach the person managing the list at

>>> games_access-owner at igda.org

>>>

>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

>>> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

>>>

>>>

>>> Today's Topics:

>>>

>>> 1. Re: Terminology (Steve Spohn)

>>>

>>>

>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>

>>> Message: 1

>>> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 14:01:45 -0500

>>> From: "Steve Spohn" <steve at ablegamers.com>

>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>> To: "'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'"

>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>> Message-ID: <003f01cb9965$dba659d0$92f30d70$@com>

>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

>>>

>>> No lol

>>>

>>> Steve Spohn

>>> Associate Editor

>>> The AbleGamers Foundation

>>>

>>> www.ablegamers.com

>>> www.ablegamers.org

>>>

>>> Find me on Skype! Username: Steve_Spohn

>>>

>>> -----Original Message-----

>>> From: games_access-bounces at igda.org

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Uhling

>>> Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:05 AM

>>> To: 'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'

>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> Hi,

>>> Maybe that is the new point of view:

>>> "It is about ability" :-)

>>>

>>> UNICEF has a series of books about it.

>>> It is for kids and for education.

>>>

>>> Best regards,

>>> Sandra

>>>

>>> -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

>>> Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org] Im Auftrag von Ryan Arndt

>>> Gesendet: Montag, 6. Dezember 2010 18:19

>>> An: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>>> Betreff: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> curious how people view the term "differently abled" as when I did my

degree (BEd), this was the term of choice. What do you think?

>>>

>>> Ryan Arndt

>>> IGDA Global Community Manager

>>>

>>> On 2010-12-04, at 7:59 PM, Michelle Hinn wrote:

>>>

>>>

>>> I guess because of my age, I went through the 1970

"handicapped/handicappible" argument where some with disabilities felt that
handicappable was a preferable term. So whenever I hear handicapped, I think
back to those years (it was something on 70s children/teen TV, etc). After
that seemed to be the search for a new term -- whether that was something
that was pushed by the disabled community or those without disabilities? I
do not know. I've just met many, unlike yourself, who have an issue with the
term. So perhaps it's an age thing?

>>>

>>> Perhaps my own reference to being a "person with a disability" (rather

than "disabled person" comes from both my academic background as well as the
fact that one of my disabilities is medical (and later made medically worse
and causing physical limitations) when being treated for the "cure"). That's
a very good possibility!

>>>

>>> I agree, though, disability doesn't stop and in the end whatever term

anyone wants to use about themselves, is ok.

>>>

>>> I think, however, when it comes to cognitive disorders, cognitive or

learning "handicaps" is problematic. Mainly because terms like "disorder,"
"disabilities," "limitation," etc seems to sound better than "handicap."
And, yes, I have a learning disability. :)

>>>

>>> Michelle

>>>

>>> On Dec 4, 2010, at 9:24 PM, Steve Spohn wrote:

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> I?ve found very few who dislike handicapped (U.S. thing maybe) ? even

golf uses handicap as in ?a disadvantage.? Mark prefers to say ?gamer with
disability? due to people complaining but used to say disabled gamer. I
still say disabled gamer but that?s because I avoid medical/academic
sounding phrases at all costs.

>>>

>>> No fight from my end, I?m just stating ?person first? is GREAT in a

hospital. I hated when Drs referred to me as ?kidney in bed 8? but in real
life I think the disability is imposed on the person. Therefore, saying
person with disability is attaching it to who I am. Barrie hates handicap
as do most UK?ers, so we try to avoid it. However, you, Mark, Aaron, and I
are handicapped (and in the U.S.) so the word doesn?t have negative
connotations. So, all I can add is:

>>>

>>> 1. Being disabled never stops

>>> a. There is no break but you can conquer barriers

>>> 2. Don?t say cripple or gimp

>>> a. Notice broadened horizons is ?GimpGear.us? but promotes BH

>>> 3. Handicapped is iffy

>>> a. Never met someone in the U.S. who is disabled who minds

handicap

>>> b. U.K. people dislike it

>>> 4. Those who are disabled are more hardened against words

>>> 5. Person first is personal preference but it is more often used

by academics and medical people

>>>

>>> Steve Spohn

>>> Associate Editor

>>> The AbleGamers Foundation

>>>

>>> www.ablegamers.com <x-msg://60/www.ablegamers.com>

>>> www.ablegamers.org <x-msg://60/www.Ablegamers.org>

>>>

>>> Find me on Skype! Username: Steve_Spohn

>>>

>>> From: games_access-bounces at igda.org

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Michelle Hinn

>>> Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:55 PM

>>> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> Mark, though, refers to himself as a someone with a disability --

perhaps he means to say that something about gaming makes him "disabled" but
outside of that activity he is not disabled?

>>>

>>> Not trying to start a list fight -- just trying to understand where

disability starts and stops for you personally. Do you feel that
"handicapped" is interchangeable with disability as well? The discussion had
started with "handicapped" as a potentially offensive term so I was just
looking for your opinion as to whether you found to it worthwhile to
differentiate the two or if you found the two terms to be interchangeable.

>>>

>>> Not sure I agree that by saying "person with a disability" is akin to

saying that disability is an accessory -- it's just a preference as to how
the individual wants to be referred to by others as.

>>>

>>> Michelle

>>>

>>> On Dec 4, 2010, at 6:52 PM, Steve Spohn wrote:

>>>

>>>

>>> It?s like anything, someone will always be upset. It would, however, be

doable to create an agreed-upon what NOT to say list.

>>>

>>> As an aside, there is a trend in the disabled community which is similar

to most communities; those who ARE handicapped/disabled are much much less
sensitive to the term used than those who are not. The ?inclusive? mindset
is very prevalent in every country now-a-days, i.e. ?I can say I?m ABC but
you can?t because I actually am an X? ? where X is a
race/gender/disability/nationality .

>>>

>>> Even if you read back through this list?s ?in-fights? those who aren?t

disabled get much more defensive than those who are.

>>>

>>> Personal preferences aside, I think as long as you don?t use words you

KNOW will hurt someone, you?re PC enough. AG gets scolded from time to time
over the ?person first? aspect. Mark, our CEO, is trying to say gamer with
disabilities, while I continue to say disabled gamer. Why? Because I?m
disabled. I?m not ?defining? myself, I?m being factual. I will always be
disabled, ergo, I?m a disabled <insert verb>. So, for once, I am very much
on Barrie?s side: life made me disabled, it?s not an accessory like a hat.
Take away what stops me from a given activity and I?m not disabled ? well
other than that whole wheelchair & ventilator thing.

>>>

>>> Steve Spohn

>>> Associate Editor

>>> The AbleGamers Foundation

>>>

>>> www.ablegamers.com <x-msg://60/www.ablegamers.com>

>>> www.ablegamers.org <x-msg://60/www.Ablegamers.org>

>>>

>>> Find me on Skype! Username: Steve_Spohn

>>>

>>> From: games_access-bounces at igda.org

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Michelle Hinn

>>> Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:05 PM

>>> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> A K-12 student is a student who is pre-university and/or still in

government required schooling.

>>>

>>> The "K" is for Kindergarten, from the German word "Children's Garden."

:) It's an early childhood education term for a "pre-school" like setting.

The term is used mostly in North America.

>>>

>>> As far as a black/white list goes, I'm not sure it's possible to come up

with a list that is, well, black/white. I think we could come closer to
creating a list of terms that are regionally considered offensive than we
could come up with a regional list that is "ok." However, as we've seen from
the discussion, it is often up to the individual as to what they themselves
use to describe themselves (ie, "handicapped" versus "disabled") and how
they choose to describe themselves (ie, as "disabled" or as a "person with a
disability").

>>>

>>> There are no easy solutions. The same can be said for other issues such

as terms, particularly slang terms, for race, sexuality, gender, etc.

>>>

>>> Michelle

>>>

>>> On Dec 4, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Sandra Uhling wrote:

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> Hi,

>>>

>>> so when we would make a black and white list, we should make separate

ones for different regions?

>>>

>>> What is a K-12 student?

>>>

>>> Best regards,

>>> Sandra

>>>

>>>

>>> ________________________________

>>>

>>>

>>> Von: "Michelle Hinn" <hinn at uiuc.edu>

>>> Gesendet: 05.12.2010 00:11:46

>>> An: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List" <games_access at igda.org>

>>> Betreff: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> True, Lynsey -- Handicapped as "Cap in Hand" is more of a UK concern

(correct, Barrie?) than it is a US concern.

>>> I'm not sure I understand how Hasbro got away with a Transformer game

called "spastic" even in the US -- that's a term used as an insult by many a
K-12 student (and above sometimes!). Perhaps it's losing it's luster as an
insult!?!

>>> Michelle

>>>

>>> On Dec 4, 2010, at 8:02 AM, Lynsey Graham wrote:

>>>

>>>

>>> I think one of the things that makes it more awkward is that the way

words are percieved varies so much from region to region, even in the same
language - never mind when you start translating to many languages. For
example, while still unpleasant, 'spastic' and 'spazz' doesn't seem to be
regarded as offensive in the US as it is in the UK - I've heard it used in a
lot of US shows, including children's shows (hello Bratz). I know Nintendo
managed to get two games pulled from the shelves in the UK that featured the
word (including Mario Party 8), and Hasbro recently launched a Transformer
called Spastic (which won't be released in the UK). Obviously that's a
slightly more exteme example, but we really don't want to unintentionally
offend anyone.

>>>

>>> It's quite a challenge when you're working on a product that will be

released across many regions!

>>>

>>>

>>> ________________________________

>>>

>>> From: Steve Spohn [mailto:steve at ablegamers.com]

>>> To: 'BlazeEagle' [mailto:blazeeagle at suddenlink.net], 'IGDA Games

Accessibility SIG Mailing List' [mailto:games_access at igda.org]

>>> Sent: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 00:43:09 +0000

>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> Exactly, Aaron. According to those who have scolded AG it should be "X

>>> challenged" "persons with disabilities" and "persons with limitations" -

I

>>> say Disabled gamer a lot as it's what I am. Barrie is correct in the

>>> "people first" is awkward and attaches negativity. Everyone has a

>>> sensitivity to certain words but most of the disabled individuals I've

met

>>> despise "cripple" and some hate "gimp."

>>>

>>> I've never had someone object to disabled and only a few on handicapped.

>>>

>>> Steve Spohn

>>> Associate Editor

>>> The AbleGamers Foundation

>>>

>>> www.ablegamers.com <http://www.ablegamers.com/>

>>> www.ablegamers.org <http://www.ablegamers.org/>

>>>

>>> Find me on Skype! Username: Steve_Spohn

>>>

>>>

>>> -----Original Message-----

>>> From: games_access-bounces at igda.org

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]

>>> On Behalf Of BlazeEagle

>>> Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 4:55 PM

>>> To: games_access at igda.org

>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>

>>> I personally don't find it that offensive but each person has their own

>>> preference. For physical disability, is "physically challenged" more

"P.C."?

>>>

>>> For visual disabilities, How about "visually challenged" for visual

>>> disabilities?

>>>

>>> It really just boils down to semantics & how sensitive one is.

>>>

>>> Aaron

>>>

>>> --------------------------------------------------

>>> From: <games_access-request at igda.org>

>>> Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 12:11 PM

>>> To: <games_access at igda.org>

>>> Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 81, Issue 4

>>>

>>>> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

>>>> games_access at igda.org

>>>>

>>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

>>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

>>>> games_access-request at igda.org

>>>>

>>>> You can reach the person managing the list at

>>>> games_access-owner at igda.org

>>>>

>>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

>>>> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Today's Topics:

>>>>

>>>> 1. Terminology (Lynsey Graham)

>>>> 2. Re: Terminology (Sandra Uhling)

>>>> 3. Re: Terminology (Lynsey Graham)

>>>> 4. Re: Terminology (Barrie Ellis)

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>

>>>> Message: 1

>>>> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:25:14 -0000

>>>> From: "Lynsey Graham" <lgraham at blitzgamesstudios.com>

>>>> Subject: [games_access] Terminology

>>>> To: "'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'"

>>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>>> Message-ID:

>>>> <7388601b-854b-41ec-8428-9794278692e2 at blitzgamesstudios.com>

>>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

>>>>

>>>> Hello all,

>>>>

>>>> I was wondering if I could ask for advice. I've just moved onto a

>>>> project, and noticed that one of the lines of dialogue refers to

>>>> 'handicapped people'. From what I've gathered, quite a few people find

>>>> this term offensive - is this generally the case? We're trying to

decide

>>>> whether to cut the line, or whether to keep it (as some people on the >

team

>>>

>>>> have never heard that it's offensive).

>>>>

>>>> Any feedback would be much appreciated!

>>>>

>>>> Cheers,

>>>>

>>>> Lynsey

>>>>

>>>> Lynsey Graham

>>>> Designer | Blitz Games

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> -- >

>>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION

>>>>

>>>> Information and any attached documentation from Blitz Games Studios

>>>> Limited (including its divisions: Blitz Games, Volatile Games, Blitz

>>>> Arcade, TruSim & BlitzTech) is intended for the use of the addressee >

only

>>>> and may contain confidential information.

>>>>

>>>> If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and >

notify

>>>> us immediately.

>>>>

>>>> Please note that without the prior written consent of Blitz Games >

Studios

>>>> Limited any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or the

>>>> information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

>>>>

>>>> Attachments to this email may accidentally contain software viruses.

You

>>>> are advised to take all reasonable precautions to minimise this risk

and

>>>> to carry out a virus check on any attachments before they are opened.

>>>>

>>>> Any formal offer contained in this email is subject to the standard >

terms

>>>> & conditions of Blitz Games Studios Limited and must be signed by both

>>>> parties. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author

>>>> and do not necessarily represent those of Blitz Games Studios Limited.

>>>>

>>>> Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no:

>>>> 2482913). Its registered address is Regent Square House, The Parade,

>>>> Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK

>>>>

>>>> ***********

>>>> -------------- next part --------------

>>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

>>>> URL:

>>>>

>>>

<http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/private/games_access/attachments/20101203

>>> /13f319e7/attachment.html>

>>>>

>>>> ------------------------------

>>>>

>>>> Message: 2

>>>> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:44:14 +0100

>>>> From: "Sandra Uhling" <sandra_uhling at web.de>

>>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>> To: "'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'"

>>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>>> Message-ID: <004601cb9309$52353ac0$f69fb040$@de>

>>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>>>>

>>>> Hi Lynsey,

>>>>

>>>> I think this video will help you.

>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqz0LKphws&feature=player_embedded

>>>>

>>>> Maybe you can describe the situation and what kind of disability the

>>>> referred people have?

>>>>

>>>> A good description in general is: Persons with Disabilities, short

PwDs.

>>>>

>>>> Best regards,

>>>> Sandra

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

>>>> Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org >

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]

>>>> Im

>>>> Auftrag von Lynsey Graham

>>>> Gesendet: Freitag, 3. Dezember 2010 17:25

>>>> An: 'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'

>>>> Betreff: [games_access] Terminology

>>>>

>>>> Hello all,

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> I was wondering if I could ask for advice. I?ve just moved onto a

>>>> project,

>>>> and noticed that one of the lines of dialogue refers to ?handicapped

>>>> people?. From what I?ve gathered, quite a few people find this term

>>>> offensive ? is this generally the case? We?re trying to decide whether

> to

>>>> cut the line, or whether to keep it (as some people on the team have >

never

>>>> heard that it?s offensive).

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Any feedback would be much appreciated!

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Cheers,

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Lynsey

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Lynsey Graham

>>>>

>>>> Designer | Blitz Games

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> ________________________________

>>>>

>>>> -- >

>>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION

>>>>

>>>> Information and any attached documentation from Blitz Games Studios

>>>> Limited

>>>> (including its divisions: Blitz Games, Volatile Games, Blitz Arcade,

>>>> TruSim

>>>> & BlitzTech) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may >

contain

>>>> confidential information.

>>>>

>>>> If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and >

notify

>>>> us

>>>> immediately.

>>>>

>>>> Please note that without the prior written consent of Blitz Games >

Studios

>>>> Limited any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or the

>>>> information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

>>>>

>>>> Attachments to this email may accidentally contain software viruses.

You

>>>> are

>>>> advised to take all reasonable precautions to minimise this risk and to

>>>> carry out a virus check on any attachments before they are opened.

>>>>

>>>> Any formal offer contained in this email is subject to the standard >

terms

>>>> &

>>>> conditions of Blitz Games Studios Limited and must be signed by both

>>>> parties. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author

>>>> and

>>>> do not necessarily represent those of Blitz Games Studios Limited.

>>>>

>>>> Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no:

>>>> 2482913).

>>>> Its registered address is Regent Square House, The Parade, Leamington >

Spa,

>>>> Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK

>>>>

>>>> ***********

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> ------------------------------

>>>>

>>>> Message: 3

>>>> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:06:52 -0000

>>>> From: "Lynsey Graham" <lgraham at blitzgamesstudios.com>

>>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>> To: "'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'"

>>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>>> Message-ID:

>>>> <d7d7ff9c-c17f-47ed-acf2-f025896c73a1 at blitzgamesstudios.com>

>>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>>>>

>>>> The line in question is:

>>>>

>>>> "Dogs are kept as pets but many also work for a living. They help out

in

>>>> all sorts of ways from pulling sleds, herding, helping the handicapped,

>>>> guarding and hunting"

>>>>

>>>> It just strikes me as possibly being a bit awkwardly worded with the

>>>> potential to offend. Strangely, the German translation seems to just

>>>> refer to "f?hren Blinde", which I'm assuming is just referring to

>>>> blindness?

>>>>

>>>> -----Original Message-----

>>>> From: games_access-bounces at igda.org >

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]

>>>

>>>> On Behalf Of Sandra Uhling

>>>> Sent: 03 December 2010 16:44

>>>> To: 'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'

>>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>>

>>>> Hi Lynsey,

>>>>

>>>> I think this video will help you.

>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqz0LKphws&feature=player_embedded

>>>>

>>>> Maybe you can describe the situation and what kind of disability the

>>>> referred people have?

>>>>

>>>> A good description in general is: Persons with Disabilities, short

PwDs.

>>>>

>>>> Best regards,

>>>> Sandra

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

>>>> Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org >

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]

>>>> Im

>>>> Auftrag von Lynsey Graham

>>>> Gesendet: Freitag, 3. Dezember 2010 17:25

>>>> An: 'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'

>>>> Betreff: [games_access] Terminology

>>>>

>>>> Hello all,

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> I was wondering if I could ask for advice. I've just moved onto a

>>>> project,

>>>> and noticed that one of the lines of dialogue refers to 'handicapped

>>>> people'. From what I've gathered, quite a few people find this term

>>>> offensive - is this generally the case? We're trying to decide whether

> to

>>>> cut the line, or whether to keep it (as some people on the team have >

never

>>>> heard that it's offensive).

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Any feedback would be much appreciated!

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Cheers,

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Lynsey

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> Lynsey Graham

>>>>

>>>> Designer | Blitz Games

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> ________________________________

>>>>

>>>> -- >

>>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION

>>>>

>>>> Information and any attached documentation from Blitz Games Studios

>>>> Limited

>>>> (including its divisions: Blitz Games, Volatile Games, Blitz Arcade,

>>>> TruSim

>>>> & BlitzTech) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may >

contain

>>>> confidential information.

>>>>

>>>> If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and >

notify

>>>> us

>>>> immediately.

>>>>

>>>> Please note that without the prior written consent of Blitz Games >

Studios

>>>> Limited any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or the

>>>> information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

>>>>

>>>> Attachments to this email may accidentally contain software viruses.

You

>>>> are

>>>> advised to take all reasonable precautions to minimise this risk and to

>>>> carry out a virus check on any attachments before they are opened.

>>>>

>>>> Any formal offer contained in this email is subject to the standard >

terms

>>>> &

>>>> conditions of Blitz Games Studios Limited and must be signed by both

>>>> parties. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author

>>>> and

>>>> do not necessarily represent those of Blitz Games Studios Limited.

>>>>

>>>> Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no:

>>>> 2482913).

>>>> Its registered address is Regent Square House, The Parade, Leamington >

Spa,

>>>> Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK

>>>>

>>>> ***********

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>> games_access mailing list

>>>> games_access at igda.org

>>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> -- >

>>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION

>>>>

>>>> Information and any attached documentation from Blitz Games Studios

>>>> Limited (including its divisions: Blitz Games, Volatile Games, Blitz

>>>> Arcade, TruSim & BlitzTech) is intended for the use of the addressee >

only

>>>> and may contain confidential information.

>>>>

>>>> If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and >

notify

>>>> us immediately.

>>>>

>>>> Please note that without the prior written consent of Blitz Games >

Studios

>>>> Limited any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or the

>>>> information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

>>>>

>>>> Attachments to this email may accidentally contain software viruses.

You

>>>> are advised to take all reasonable precautions to minimise this risk

and

>>>> to carry out a virus check on any attachments before they are opened.

>>>>

>>>> Any formal offer contained in this email is subject to the standard >

terms

>>>> & conditions of Blitz Games Studios Limited and must be signed by both

>>>> parties. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author

>>>> and do not necessarily represent those of Blitz Games Studios Limited.

>>>>

>>>> Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no:

>>>> 2482913). Its registered address is Regent Square House, The Parade,

>>>> Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK

>>>>

>>>> ***********

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> ------------------------------

>>>>

>>>> Message: 4

>>>> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:11:45 -0000

>>>> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

>>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

>>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>>> Message-ID: <C7AC2B07E36F4F659136228847280420 at OneSwitchPC>

>>>> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";

>>>> reply-type=original

>>>>

>>>> I much prefer the term Disabled Person/People, in the context that a

>>>> person

>>>> is disabled by something in their environment that poses a barrier to

>>>> them.

>>>> If a person can't get into a shop because they need to use a

wheelchair,

>>>> then you might consider them a disabled person. If there's a ramp in

>>>> place,

>>>> that they can use, then they are no longer disabled in that particular

>>>> context. The same with video games.

>>>>

>>>> Saying "Person with disability", attaches the disability to them, and

>>>> always

>>>> feels like a more medical way of describing someone to me. You'll hear

>>>> people use the "people first" argument, but I prefer to describe people

> as

>>>> people first. Then if there's something disabling them from doing what

>>>> they

>>>> need/want to do, I would describe the person as a disabled person.

>>>>

>>>> Barrie

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> --------------------------------------------------

>>>> From: "Sandra Uhling" <sandra_uhling at web.de>

>>>> Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 4:44 PM

>>>> To: "'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'" >

<games_access at igda.org>

>>>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Terminology

>>>>

>>>>> Hi Lynsey,

>>>>>

>>>>> I think this video will help you.

>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqz0LKphws&feature=player_embedded

>>>>>

>>>>> Maybe you can describe the situation and what kind of disability the

>>>>> referred people have?

>>>>>

>>>>> A good description in general is: Persons with Disabilities, short >>

PwDs.

>>>>>

>>>>> Best regards,

>>>>> Sandra

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

>>>>> Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org >>

[mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]

>>>>> Im

>>>>> Auftrag von Lynsey Graham

>>>>> Gesendet: Freitag, 3. Dezember 2010 17:25

>>>>> An: 'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'

>>>>> Betreff: [games_access] Terminology

>>>>>

>>>>> Hello all,

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> I was wondering if I could ask for advice. I've just moved onto a

>>>>> project,

>>>>> and noticed that one of the lines of dialogue refers to 'handicapped

>>>>> people'. From what I've gathered, quite a few people find this term

>>>>> offensive - is this generally the case? We're trying to decide whether

>>>>> to

>>>>> cut the line, or whether to keep it (as some people on the team have

>>>>> never

>>>>> heard that it's offensive).

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> Any feedback would be much appreciated!

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> Cheers,

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> Lynsey

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> Lynsey Graham

>>>>>

>>>>> Designer | Blitz Games

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> ________________________________

>>>>>

>>>>> -- >>

>>>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION

>>>>>

>>>>> Information and any attached documentation from Blitz Games Studios

>>>>> Limited

>>>>> (including its divisions: Blitz Games, Volatile Games, Blitz Arcade,

>>>>> TruSim

>>>>> & BlitzTech) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may

>>>>> contain

>>>>> confidential information.

>>>>>

>>>>> If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and >>

notify

>>>>> us

>>>>> immediately.

>>>>>

>>>>> Please note that without the prior written consent of Blitz Games >>

Studios

>>>>> Limited any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or the

>>>>> information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

>>>>>

>>>>> Attachments to this email may accidentally contain software viruses.

>> You

>>>>> are

>>>>> advised to take all reasonable precautions to minimise this risk and

to

>>>>> carry out a virus check on any attachments before they are opened.

>>>>>

>>>>> Any formal offer contained in this email is subject to the standard >>

terms

>>>>> &

>>>>> conditions of Blitz Games Studios Limited and must be signed by both

>>>>> parties. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the

author

>>>>> and

>>>>> do not necessarily represent those of Blitz Games Studios Limited.

>>>>>

>>>>> Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no:

>>>>> 2482913).

>>>>> Its registered address is Regent Square House, The Parade, Leamington

>>>>> Spa,

>>>>> Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK

>>>>>

>>>>> ***********

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>>> games_access mailing list

>>>>> games_access at igda.org

>>>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> ------------------------------

>>>>

>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>> games_access mailing list

>>>> games_access at igda.org

>>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> End of games_access Digest, Vol 81, Issue 4

>>>> *******************************************

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>> No virus found in this incoming message.

>>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/>

>>> Version: 9.0.872 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3293 - Release Date: 12/03/10

>>> 02:34:00

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> ________________________________

>>>

>>> --

>>>

>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION

>>>

>>> Information and any attached documentation from Blitz Games Studios

Limited (including its divisions: Blitz Games, Volatile Games, Blitz Arcade,
TruSim & BlitzTech) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may
contain confidential information.

>>>

>>>

>>> If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and

notify us immediately.

>>>

>>> Please note that without the prior written consent of Blitz Games

Studios Limited any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or
the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

>>>

>>> Attachments to this email may accidentally contain software viruses. You

are advised to take all reasonable precautions to minimise this risk and to
carry out a virus check on any attachments before they are opened.

>>>

>>> Any formal offer contained in this email is subject to the standard

terms & conditions of Blitz Games Studios Limited and must be signed by both
parties. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and
do not necessarily represent those of Blitz Games Studios Limited.

>>>

>>> Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no:

2482913). Its registered address is Regent Square House, The Parade,
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK

>>>

>>> ***********

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> <https://img.web.de/p.gif>

>>> WEB.DE <http://WEB.DE/> DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 ?/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

>>> gratis Notebook-Flat! http://produkte.web.de/go/DSL_Doppel_Flatrate/2

<http://produkte.web.de/go/DSL_Doppel_Flatrate/2>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>> No virus found in this incoming message.

>>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/>

>>> Version: 9.0.872 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3295 - Release Date: 12/04/10

14:34:00

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>> No virus found in this incoming message.

>>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/>

>>> Version: 9.0.872 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3295 - Release Date: 12/04/10

14:34:00

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> Ryan Arndt

>>> Acting Community Manager

>>> International Game Developers Association

>>> Website: http://www.igda.org

>>> Email: ryan at igda.org

>>>

>>> LinkedIn: http://j.mp/IGDAli

>>> Facebook: http://j.mp/IGDAfb

>>> Twitter: @igda/@certainlysocial

>>> http://facebook.com/ryan80e

>>> Skype: ryanarndt

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>> No virus found in this incoming message.

>>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

>>> Version: 9.0.872 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3309 - Release Date: 12/11/10

02:34:00

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> ------------------------------

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>>>

>>>

>>> End of games_access Digest, Vol 81, Issue 31

>>> ********************************************

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> games_access mailing list

>> games_access at igda.org

>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

_______________________________________________
games_access mailing list
games_access at igda.org
http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access



More information about the games_access mailing list