[games_access] Posting

D. Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 8 20:32:22 EST 2010

Thanks Barrie! Yeah, I like being able to get news even if it's a
short piece someone wants to share that points to more information. I
think as long as it's presented with some context (like a title
summary and then, say, the first paragraph as long as that's
informative (if not, then a longer summary of the post would be
welcomed) and then the link for members of the list to go to in order
to read more then this is something I'd like us to see more of. I
don't want this to be a list where anyone feels like they cannot post
news.

As Barrie said, as long as things are presented with consideration of
list members and that comments are also presented with consideration
then there's really no "you can post this/you can't post that" hard
and fast rule. I'd like to see much more news on the list -- the more
the better! The only thing that I ask is that we all try to remember
to post more than just a link so that people have a chance to filter
through posts that they aren't interested in (ie, one person may only
be interested in articles related to autism and so they would
appreciate having the context, especially if they are short on time
with their email).

So, yeah, I'm for more posting of news and such -- it's the catalyst
for good list conversation as well! I think that in past years it's
been when comments have gotten "personal" rather than staying in the
realm of fair debate that people have gotten scared and in the spirit
of regaining the peace, rules that were not really "rules" have been
created or made to seem that way. I often don't hear about comments
people make about appropriate content offlist and when I do sometimes
I only hear about it when people have gotten to the boiling point and
it's too late to figure out how the argument even started.

I'm sorry that you were made to feel that your posts were not
welcome, Mark, but I'm glad you mentioned it on the list so it could
be discussed. Owners of news sites such as AbleGamers and GameFWD
should feel free to post new article information and links to the
full text on their own sites. And so should everyone with news
related to game accessibility -- Javier's posting of news on his blog
is just as valid as it was a post about something new. As I mentioned
already, we should just make sure that we give all subscribers a
little background information.

It's no big deal if we occasionally forget -- and no censorship was
intended when I encouraged the additional information earlier today.
We all want to know more, after all, and sometimes people are also
worried about links to viruses so if they have the reasonable
expectation that the link is safe with the extra information about
what the link is to then it encourages more comfort by all. :) So
from time to time we should remind each other if we forget to include
context but all that takes is a polite email to let a new subscriber
know about how to best post something or remind an old subscriber if
they have been forgetting.

In the future, if anyone ever is told that their posts are not
welcome on the list then please email me so that we can work to get
that resolved. Let's not reopen old wounds but let's instead look to
the future of encouraging the freedom to post information to benefit
the cause!

Thanks everyone! Let the news, interesting research findings, project
updates, and more flow! :)
Michelle