[games_access] Judge Tosses Blind Gamer's Suit vs. Sony

Mark Barlet mark at ablegamers.com
Sat Feb 27 13:12:58 EST 2010

I could not disagree more. As soon as you force accessibility at the
level that the ADA prescribes video games as you know it will vanish.
All we will have left is oneswitch games (no offense to them, but for
many disabled gamers, they are not really much fun because we can use
more than a single switch).

ADA and the RA require that accommodation be made to the lowest common
denominator (not being mean, just stating the fact) so building
designers and so on have to work to accommodate the most disabled
person they can thing of. That is okay when you talk buildings, it
means ramps, auto doors, bathroom stalls and so on. It is another
story when you talk technology as advanced as a video game.

Fact is, if this case were to prevail, there would be NO video games
worth playing in the United States, because every AAA title you can
think of would be outlawed (because ADA does not give you partial
credit, ALL or OUTLAWED), and if they did do all the work to make it
compliant the chances are it would not be the game the mainstream
wanted, and no sell, and with ALL the development costs you would have
to pay $300 for it.

Oh and kiss XBOX and PSP, and DS, and PS3 goodbye because the
challenges that are presented there are even more difficult to
overcome.

I am glad it was tossed out. I would rather see a great game that is
pushing the boundaries of fun that I can not play because of my
disability than to not see that game developed at all. That is just
cutting off my nose to spite my face.

And you know what the meme would be in the gaming world? "A few
disabled people made video games illegal" No thank you, I face enough
challenges on a day to day basis, I do not want to have to own that
too.

Mark

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Robert Florio <arthit73 at cablespeed.com> wrote:
> I give up on humanity.  We are also stupid!  Ever since my disability I
> can't believe I realize how the game design industry is almost like a lost
> cause.
>
> I can't wait for the day to finally stick it to these stupid developers.
>
> I hope my reply gets posted on that web site for that lawsuit report.  I
> didn't see it but this is what I wrote.
>

> “I can't believe that human rights are so ignorantly ignored.
>
> As human beings we think we are invincible and as soon as we get a scratch
> or leg or an earthquake happens we freak out thinking the world is ending.
>
> It makes sense that the online environment is a public place.
>
> I'm a quadriplegic I am 28 years old and I've been fighting for equal rights
> for videogames ever since I got my degree in video game art and design at
> the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.  Yes I am one of the first half a degree in
> game design.  That's how serious we gamers with disabilities want a change.
>
> It's ignorant and inhumane, disgusting its disgraceful and I can't believe
> no one in this giant corporations like Sony doesn't have a child with a
> disability or a disability themselves or fears that they might develop a
> disability and not even be able to play their favorite games.  It's a human
> commonsense called the human condition.
>
> People are so stupid especially the ones with power.  Sony think they are so
> smart.  They only give a crap about money.  Who doesn't right?
>
> Some things just can't be changed we are corrupt as human beings naturally.
> We haven't changed for thousands of years and the gaming industry seems to
> be untouchable.  As long as geeks and nerds get their rocks off no one cares
> about anyone else.
>

> Robert Florio
>
> www.RobertFlorio.com

> I think this reflect the current view of games as entertainment; this will
> change as games become platforms for public education. I'm working on such a
> project in Sweden
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Thomas
>

> (Sent from my mobile)
>
> On 27 feb 2010, at 01.43, "Sheri Rubin" <sheri at designdirectdeliver.com>
> wrote:
>
> http://kotaku.com/5481543/judge-tosses-blind-gamers-suit-vs-sony
>
> "Judge Tosses Blind Gamer's Suit vs. SonyIn October a visually-impaired
> gamer sued Sony, alleging that it wasn't fulfilling its responsibilities
> under U.S. law to provide access to the disabled. The reasoning depending on
> finding that Sony's products constitute a public accommodation. A judge said
> they aren't."
>
> Sheri
>
> --
> Sheri Rubin
> CEO and Founder
>
> Design Direct Deliver
> Website: www.designdirectdeliver.com
> Email: sheri at designdirectdeliver.com

The AbleGamers Foundation is a 501(c)(3) public charity that advocates
for greater accessibility in the digital entertainment space.
Visit our site, http://www.ablegamers.org