[games_access] Game Winterfest

Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed May 26 18:06:26 EDT 2010

Hi Sandra,

The ability to turn dialog on or off is definitely something that can help those with reading difficulties as it helps people learn the game using both auditory and visual presentations of the information. So even a commercial game can help if it has these features -- seeing and hearing the same information helps lock in "understanding" and after a while a person with a reading difficulty may not need the auditory feature, as the game can help make the "learning" seem not as much of a chore than if you used, say, flash cards.

This is one of many things that can help those with different learning disabilities (note: it does not mean that it is the only thing that can help nor could one say that something that has this feature is 100% accessible for those with cognitive disabilities -- the category is just too big and I don't think that's the issue you are discussing in this case in either way!) :)

I look forward to playing the game!

Michelle