[games_access] Kinect - first real experience

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Mon Nov 15 05:30:48 EST 2010

Hi,

unfortunately the people who presented kinect, did a bad job.
They did not know much about the games and some information were totally
wrong.

Is there a possibility to get better information next time?
Are there special events for people from magazines, etc. ?

FYI: The game Adventure does have some demos of other games! :-)

I really love it what I played. So here are only thoughts about
accessibility.
I do not want to say the games are bad, only think about what can be make
better next time.

Ubisoft - dwelling menu
Unfortunately it is not good as I thought. You still need both hands.

Kinect - "go back to kinect menu"-pose
You need your left hand and right hand(?)
When you are in a game and want to go back to the menu, you have to hold a
certain pose.

Microsoft - dance central:
It is not a "slow motion" solution it is a "separation it into parts" - "and
repeat when necessary" - solution.
The whole dance is separated into parts. And these parts are again separate
in single moves.
Then you do one move bit by bit. And when you do it great. You can do the
next move.
When you do it wrong you have to repeat it three times.
I love it :-)

The menu is only usable when you can use your right hand very well.
Also for the game you need to be able to move the arms and legs.

Ideas:
All games and all menus should be playable also when a body part cannot be
moved like needed.
Maybe the player can activate the parts of the body that will be "tracked",
"rated".
So they would be able to play a dance game, also when e.g. the right arm
cannot be used.
That would be amazing!!! You would make lots of kids smiling very very
happy.

Kinect - "go back to kinect menu"-pose:
Here it would  be great to have also alternatives poses that can be chosen.

VOICE: I would love to have voice as alternative input for all menus! :-)
And for menu the alternative use of the controller.

Question to our Kinect guys:
Is it possible to get PR Versions of the games? It would be much easier to
think about ideas for Game Accessibility.

Best regards,
Sandra