[games_access] Games to Demo - A Checklist

Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 20 13:15:24 EST 2010

I usually see speech included with sensory limitations -- for example it's not unusual to see a department of "speech and hearing" sciences at hospitals and universities. I imagine that the title goes to the difficulty it is to know if you are saying something correctly without therapy if you are deaf or otherwise hearing impaired.

So it's a confusing one but one that seems likely to cross over into cognitive, mobility and sensory disabilities. So I guess in my opinion it should be a separate consideration given that many with speech impairments won't feel comfortable playing with "team speak" types of thing and I know a lot of people who have said that if they see someone not using such a thing they won't play with them because they assume they are "newbies" (the "nicer" worded explanation I've heard) and would slow their team down. Pressed further, those same individuals have said that they also assume or have been told that the person has a disability and therefore might slow them down. A frustrating thing, for sure.

Note: the above wasn't a big study -- just what I've learned from talking to gamers and game devs over the years.

Michelle