[games_access] Dwell Clicking and Eye Trackers

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 05:59:02 EDT 2010

Yep, high-quality eye trackers are very expensive. The best ones can cope
with head movements whilst keeping track of what your eyes are doing. Got
some info here:

http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/search/label/eye%20trackers

COGAIN are real experts in it, as is Mick Donegan of
www.specialeffect.org.uk - (take a look at the www.gamebase.info video
section for some examples of Eye Gaze in action).

There are ways to use head-mounted web-cams for eye tracking, but I'm not
sure about their accuracy.

Dwell-clicking is a typical system used for those using things like a
SMART-Nav tracker or Eye Trackers who can't easily trigger a click
otherwise, or simply those with RSI who might be okay to move a mouse, but
find it painful to click.

Got some info here on them with useful links:
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-software.htm

Having to use a dwell-clicker does lead to problems with games requiring
lots of clicks, or accurately timed clicks, at the moment.