[games_access] What can consoles support?

Lynsey Graham lgraham at blitzgamesstudios.com
Mon Oct 4 12:19:55 EDT 2010

Heh thanks, I try my best!:P

With the customisable controls, it is possible to allocate two or more button presses to one button.  Going back to Street Fighter (I do play other games, honest!), the control customisation in that allows you to map certain button combinations to one button.  For example, to throw you have to press two buttons together; a punch and kick button of the same strength (eg hard punch and hard kick).  You can press whichever two buttons you have these set to, or you can set up a single button to be hard punch + hard kick.  It's the same for the other commonly used button combinations in the game - all three punches together, all three kicks together.  This basically comes from the fact the controls were based around an arcade stick, with all six buttons on the face in two rows of three.  With the way Sony and Microsoft's game controllers evolved, the face only has four buttons, with the other four buttons being on the 'shoulder' of the controller - it makes certain combinations quite difficult, which is why I think Capcom went to such efforts to ensure that people could customise their controls.  To play Street Fighter, you only *need* the six attack buttons (three punches, three kicks) and the d-pad to perform every single move in the game.  Being able to allocate certain combinations to the 'unused' buttons makes it a lot easier on a standard controller.

So, I think if developers are looking to implement customisable controls, it's worthwhile considering whether there are any frequent moves or mechanics that require more than one button to be pressed at a time, and allowing the player to map that combination to a single button.  For example, on an Xbox pad I can press X & A together, or Y & B together, but I struggle to press X & Y or B & A together with any degree of consistency.  Although it's worth noting that some of that is down to game code - developers can set the tolerance, so the player doesn't literally have to press the buttons at exactly the same time.  When pressing two buttons together, most people will press one a fraction of a second earlier.  The trick (particularly in games that feature elaborate input combinations) is drawing the line between the player pressing X & A together, and the player pressing X and A in close succession because they want to do two moves quickly.  It's fascinating playing the tutorial modes for Tekken and Dead or Alive (and I think Street Fighter IV), where it shows you exactly what the game *thinks* you're doing with the controller.

With the sensitivity, it's something that's not utilised that often.  I *think* both the 360 and PS3 have analogue face buttons as well as sticks - I'd have to check, but the original Xbox and PS2 did - the functionality was there, but I don't think many games used them that often.  Some first person shooters allow you to calibrate the sensitivity of the sticks for aiming/movement, but it seems to be something that's fairly specific to that genre.