[games_access] Request to all (active) members

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Mon Sep 6 05:45:14 EDT 2010

Hi Sandra,

About the SIG:
I got back from Seattle Saturday; the Kinect event was awesome and I have great hopes that Microsoft will put serious efforts into game accessibility going forward. I think that it was kind of a breakthrough for what this SIG and others like Ablegamers have been working hard for, for many years now. E.g. Microsoft referred to the white paper the SIG wrote in 2004 as one of the starting points for their work with game accessibility. I believe the work for the SIG going forward is to keep advocating GA by pointing to good examples and helping game devs better understand GA, like we did during the Kinect event and as has done at GDC since 2004 and elsewhere. A revision of the white paper is also a thing to work on.

About me:
I am a lecturer at Stockholm university, Dept. of Computer and Systems sciences. My research is about creating a "game accessibility implementation model", which I call GAIM. Currently it is being used in a project where we use Android phones to create augmented reality games for blind kids with the purpose of learning them to become more independent, e.g. walk to school and find virtual items to collect, get scores etc along the way. The GAIM is used as a way to capture, describe and simulate what feedback is required in different situations (or states). The GAIM is based upon a table-driven finite state machine approach, which provides a cross-platform, cross-language abstract solution. (I know, I probably need to explain more but that is the short version). The main target group for GAIM are game developers to help them implement game accessibility; you may see it as an extension to game accessibility patterns if you like.

Best wishes,
Thomas

-- Do(), there is no try{}