[games_access] Who is in this list and what are you doing?

Jonathan Chetwynd j.chetwynd at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 6 04:04:13 EDT 2010

Jonathan Chetwynd,

my interest is: accessible standards-based online games  that play in
the browser.

I am developing a range of accessible web-based client-server browser-
native game applications.
Games that use standards-based technologies such as SVG, CSS, RDF,
Ecmascript and XSLT,
but not for instance plugins, installable downloads, Flash or Java.

A Go game will be demonstrated and discussed at the forthcoming Game
Accessibility Symposium in London

The web offers huge potential to share knowledge and tools,
but the current generation of browser-native technologies and tools
are designed primarily around text.
This has resulted in accessibility guidelines for static text based
documents.

I hope that in the future we might develop, game accessibility
guidelines for internet technologies.

we are data rich, but tool poor, and games offer a means to manipulate
data and communicate opinions,
through identities such as simulation and visualisation.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd
http://www.honte.eu

2005- researching, bug-filing, writing and developing accessible
standards-based online games
1995-2005 accessibility advocate representing people with learning
disabilities,
manager and developer of The Peepo Project and websites with Lambeth
College and Wandsworth Social Services
invited expert and contributor to W3C/WAI web accessibility
initiative  1998-2004