[games_access] Update of the White Paper - UN Convention

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Wed Sep 8 11:21:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

The White Paper needs an update about the UN Convention:
http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=259

Here you find a very good presentation:
http://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/ppt/crpdbasics.ppt

Purpose of the Convention (Article 1):
To promote, protect and ensure the full and equal enjoyment of all human
rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons with disabilities, and to
promote respect for their inherent dignity.
(source presentation)

Preamble of Convention states:
'Disability is an evolving concept, and that disability results from the
interaction between persons with impairments and attitudinal and
environmental barriers that hinders full and effective participation in
society on an equal basis with others'.
(source presentation)

General Principles: Participation and Inclusion:
Full and effective participation and inclusion in society is recognized in
the Convention as:
 * A general principle (article 3)
 * A general obligation (article 4)
 * A right (articles 29 and 30)
(source presentation)

General Principles: Accessibility:
 * Education (article 24)
 * Participation in cultural life, recreation, leisure and sport (article
30)
(source presentation)

UN-Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities  and   Game
Accessibility:

Article 3 - General principles
  c. Full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
Article 24 - Education (Serious Games, eLearning)
Article 30 - Participation in cultural life, recreation, leisure and sport

******

I do not know about other countries, but this I learned about Germany:

There will be no more subsidies. And it will be used more to avoid/remove
barriers.
E.g. add subtitles to films. The games branch is not mentioned.

So we have to make sure that when there is money used for this,
they do not forget about games branch.

In Germany we have on website for input of ideas. Maybe other countries have

also something like that?

Best regards,
Sandra

It looks like we will have more detailed information about disabilities:
Article 31 - Statistics and data collection

Also it looks like some description might have changed.
I will look into it.

Best regards,
Sandra