[games_access] My Golf Game - released

Steve Spohn steve at ablegamers.com
Thu Sep 23 11:39:02 EDT 2010

Hi Barrie and all,

As far as AbleGamers criteria goes, my golf game is fully accessible.  As I
explained in the article at
http://www.ablegamers.com/game-news/vtree-and-ernie-els-launches-first-fully
-accessible-golf-game.html you can use the mouse, keyboard, Xbox 360
controller, touch screen, and/or voice recognition technology - basically
anything to play this game.

The game play is near one switch, with the arrow slowly sweeping until you
click (mouse, spacebar, X button) then the power goes up and down once you
set the arrow and you click to stop it.  The menus are not one switch but
you can use the keyboard or voice recognition or mouse to jump right in and
start playing.

This game is absolutely the first and only mainstream golf title built from
the ground up specifically to be played by disabled gamers.  This is not an
indie title or something run on an emulator, Vtree went out and convinced EA
to publish a game specifically targeted to the people we fight for everyday.
If that's not a win, I don't know what to call it.

Perhaps our versions of "fully accessible" are slightly different but I
don't know many disabilities that won't be able to play.  Even those who
could only literally use one of your big red buttons will be able to play
this once someone clicks on start for them.

And for the record, I have to have people put DVDs in my DVD-ROM to play but
I don't count that against the accessibility.  It would be nice to have the
menus be completely one switch friendly, I agree with you, but in my opinion
that's kind of like someone giving you a Ferrari and telling you that it's
completely free but you have to pump your own gas.

I'm just grateful for the Ferrari :)

Steve Spohn
Associate Editor
The AbleGamers Foundation

www.ablegamers.com
www.ablegamers.org

Find me on Skype!  Username: Steve_Spohn