[games_access] Fwd: IGDA-GASIG.Org Message

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:50:27 EDT 2011

It's a bit of a difficult question, and using quite loaded language, that
I'd personally avoid: "games to help the rehabilitation of persons with
mental disability".

There are many games deliberately aimed at learning disabled people, from
SEN Switcher and the like onwards. I wouldn't call them rehab though.
They're experiential, fun and or educational. Not rehab to my mind.

Cognitive disability covers a broad range of issues, including: memory,
processing, language and control. There are some common things that can
benefit the huge range of people who may be affected by those issues. Here's
a few basics to add to the GA.com list:
http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/wish-list-for-accessible-game-design_531.html
(with some games detailed).

As for things like Alzheimer's, Dyslexia etc. - I'm aware of some bits going
on in the background - but nothing much, as Thomas says.