[games_access] Accessible Controller Providers

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:03:19 EST 2011

I would say that AbleNet switches are many many times better quality than the Staples buttons, with the large ones having about twice the surface area. I looked at adapting those red buttons, but they're very poorly made, and wouldn't suit .

Gavin Philips posted a nice D.I.Y. guide to build a sub $10/£6 switch using CD's: http://www.gavinphilips.com/projects/cdswitch

And these are a bit more: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/4/DIY/switches.htm (illuminated switch) - http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/4/DIY/switches-suckpuff.htm (sip-puff switch).

AbleNet have been knocking out that particular design of "Big-Red" type switches for about 20 years. Agree they are expensive, but they do tend to last a long time. I've got a couple that are at least 12 years old and still going strong. Sometimes you're paying for quality. It just hurts when a tailor built set-up can end up costing hundreds and even thousands of pounds.

Cheers,

Barrie