[games_access] Our First Weekly Topic

Tara Tefertiller ttefertiller at igda-gasig.org
Tue Jan 25 12:26:30 EST 2011

Sandra,

We've gotten nearly all of the basic information on our site. They are
listed on our website under "About Game Accessibility." We list different
disabilities, US census data on how people need disabilities, and even list
possible solutions.

What he is saying is the developers aren't going to want to look at what the
issues or the data or any of that. If their boss says "We need to be
accessible," it will be his job to make the game accessible. Telling him
"There are deaf gamers," doesn't tell him what the solution is, only the
problem. He wants to hear "Use closed captions." So by listing barriers, we
aren't doing anything for him. If that was all he needed, we could just link
him to various websites.

He then goes on about how such a list could be developed in a way that was a
realistic model for developers to follow that would also encourage more
accessibility. It's sort of a tiered system that he is requesting.
Additionally, I think if a developer is requesting a list of how to fix the
problem, it would be a step backward to give him a list of barriers or the
white paper. The list of barriers identifies the problem and the white paper
is made to get people aware of/educated on/interested about accessibility.
He clearly already cares about accessibility, and wants the problems fixed.

You could always go back and ask him directly in the forum what he means. If
you click the quote button you can highlight that part of his post that is
confusing to you.

--
Tara Tefertiller - Chairperson
IGDA Game Accessibility SIG