[games_access] Need officially support from the SIG

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:19:50 EST 2011

I think the problems with the WCAG  (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) - (http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/) is that it's not particularly accessible in itself. Its very wordy, and leaves a lot of people scratching their heads. How does this list of things to develop sound to people, I wonder....?:

1. Top 10 Accessibility Features list. A simple intro to some of the most commonly wished for list. We need to look at this again though.
2. A ratings system for game accessibility, tied closely to "reasonably practicable" accessible design requests. Working on just such a thing with the Accessible GameBase and hope to share soon - will talk to SpecialEffect about this tonight/tomorrow. Would be great to develop further with people in GASIG and beyond, and get them to adopt a BETA standard (to basically - see how it goes). In short, something that will hopefully not scare off AAA developers, nor people new to this field.
3. Supplementary information to further illuminate related barriers/features, and how people may implement those features (potential link with WCAG guidance - or create our own, of course linking to vast resources of existing info, e.g. http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/search/label/Design%20Tips).
4. Deeper accessibility information, for those wishing to go the extra mile - heading towards the very difficult territory of universal access and parallel universe theory.

We want an easy way in for people, and WCAG is not that. But, it could be a fantastic resource for stages 3 and 4. If we could put things in a more easy to digest format, I can easily foresee us linking up together. Imagine a good detailed breakdown of colour-blindness requirements in a game. I think a potentially excellent link up.

Cheers,

Barrie