[games_access] GA SIG Update and GDC Follow Up

Tara Tefertiller ttefertiller at igda-gasig.org
Wed Mar 9 15:28:48 EST 2011

I think that list is a good start.

This link from our website may also be useful -
http://igda-gasig.org/about-game-accessibility/development-frameworks/

This is one of the pages being reorganized. Right now, the information is
just sort of listed. After the website adjustments it will be broken up per
issue.

Like-

"The following solutions help promote barrier free gaming for blind
gamers....

1. Full Subtitles
     Description of full subtitles and how it helps
2. Closed Captions
     Description of  captions and blah blah blah
3. ETC

The following solution.... blah blah mobility
1. blah blah blah"

You get the point.

--
Tara Tefertiller - Chairperson
IGDA Game Accessibility SIG

igda-gasig.org
http://gameaccesssig.forumotion.com/

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Kwasi Mensah <
kwasi.mensah at ananseproductions.com> wrote:

> The plan Tara mentioned of working with the QA SIG is right on point. I'm
> relatively new to game accessibility standards and since I'm used to TCRs (a
> console manufacturers list of very specific things that have to be done in
> order to make the game shippable) the WCAG 2.0 seemed like a good place to
> start. In my original article I was applying them to the mobile game Angry
> Birds.
>
> While the list is underway with with the QA SIG, what should developers
> look at? If not WCAG 2.0, than would
> http://blindcomputergames.com/guidelines/guidelines.html be useful?
>
> -Kwasi
>

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Jonathan Chetwynd <
> j.chetwynd at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Sandra,
>>
>> for games in the browser that use web standards,
>> knowledge of both WCAG 1 & 2 is rather useful.
>>
>> these guidelines form a base from which to develop.
>> which is  not to deny that there is much to be done.
>>
>> There are other serious and relevant concerns,
>> such as who is the web for?
>> is it just a cynical marketing exercise,
>> etc...
>>
>> for the moment capitalism certainly holds sway over W3C
>> guidelines are developed for and by corporations,
>> with too little thought for concerns of the individual.
>> and it seems that many feel this is reflected in the difference between
>>  WCAG 2 & 1
>>
>> none the less one needs to know these well, to appreciate the  different
>> approaches taken.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Jonathan  Chetwynd
>> http://www.peepo.com
>>

>> On 9 Mar 2011, at 17:40, Sandra Uhling wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> Can we write something like this on our website?
>>>
>>> "We do not recommend to use the WCAG for games.
>>> Games are special and need their own guidelines."
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Sandra

>>> members. Our forums can be a great tool for the public- so let's use it