[games_access] Universal game design

Dimitris Grammenos gramenos at ics.forth.gr
Fri Oct 21 07:51:36 EDT 2011

Hello Tim,

First of all, as far as I understand "universal GAME design" and
"universally accessible game design" are two semantically different things.

"universal GAME design": Knowledge / guidance about how you can / should
design a game (i.e., has nothing to do with accessibility)

"universally accessible game design": Knowledge / guidance about how you can
ensure that the game you design (maybe following universal GAME design - or
not) is accessible (= can be played) by people with different
characteristics and abilities, including - but not limited to - people with
disabilities.

Unfortunately, I cannot understand what you mean by "slapping a game
experience on education " or "slapping accessibility on a game" and thus I
cannot comment on this, but if you elaborate on it maybe I can provide you
my personal view about it.

In any case, since what you read in
http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/index_main.php?l=e
<http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/index_main.php?l=e&c=555> &c=555 is
just a tiny bit of my view and work on the subject, I would suggest that you
have a look at this presentation:

http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/docs/DGrammenos_Universally_Accessible_
Games_and_Parallel_Game_Universes.pdf (206 slides) PDF format(15MB);

There I elaborate in a step-by-step illustrated approach (with several
examples) on the subjects of Game Accessibility and Universally Accessible
Games , as well as on the related concepts and methods I suggest.

Of course, if you have the time you can also have a look at some of my
related publications:

http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/index_main.php?l=e
<http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/index_main.php?l=e&c=559> &c=559

Best regards,