[games_access] Good practices for accessibility in video games

Richard (AudioGames.net) richard at audiogames.net
Tue Apr 10 08:33:17 EDT 2012

Hi Carme!

Hahaha - in a good or a bad way? ;-) That's so sweet of you!! Yes, I
would have loved to come but unfortunately couldn't manage :-/

Busy with many different things. Here at  the HKU my focus is slowly
turning towards play and Interactive Toy Design ("games are soo
yesterday and toys are the new black"), mainly because as of next year
we will have a course with the same name but also because I seriously do
believe that interactive toys are a big part of What's Next. Therefore
toy accessibility is also somewhere in my agenda ;-)
Other than that I we had the DIGRA Think Design Play conference here in
Hilversum and I put a lot of time into the Cultures At Play Game Jam in
Istanbul last year. Adaptive Music Systems research still continues, as
does my work at the Applied Game Design research program
(http://agd.hku.nl/) and the Creative Design for Playful Impact research
program (have you already seen our program's Game for Pigs:
http://www.playingwithpigs.nl/ ?).
And of course (my company) Creative Heroes 2 days a week :-)
So accessibility is pretty low on my to do list (let alone translation),
although I am currently exploring the possibilities of a R&D project
about games/toys with Sifteo cubes for children with (for instance)
dyspraxia.

BUT...

... maybe interesting for you guys to know is that we are in the process
of setting up some sort of 'Code Jam' with the main theme
"Inclusion/Accessibility". The event is somewhat similar to a 'game jam'
but than with a focus on software instead of games: multiple small teams
of designers and developers developing a small pieces of software in 48
hours that would somehow be related to accessibility/inclusion. Nothing
is final yet but I'll let you know how things progress if you want?
Maybe we can arrange for you to come over with some students and
participate? For me (if I participate) this would be the ideal
opportunity to finally sit down and prototype those Sound Balloons ;-)

And how are you? What's up in Barcelona?

Best regards!

Richard