[games_access] Kickstarter game project will add Closed Captions and Dyslexic friendly font

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:49:45 EST 2012

I'd really strongly recommend against using OpenDyslexic until its designer gets some of the dyslexia-unfriendly  typographical issues (such as mirrored b/d) sorted out.
He knows about the problems, but until he fixes them, there are far better dyslexic-friendly fonts out there.
You have to pay for the better fonts, but you could add that in as a stretch goal.. ie. if you reach a certain level above your kickstarter goal, use that to pay for a licence to use a better font.
There are some games which already use dyslexia friendly fonts. OpenDyslexic is used in this one: http://jpsierens.wordpress.com/projects/. Sassoon Infant is sometimes used in kids' games, in the UK at least. Having said that though games that use dyslexia-friendly fonts are very rare, so it'll still be really innovative.
Offering a choice of different text colours would be another really easy way to innovate for dyslexic gamers, simulating Irlen overlays. I have the hex values of the the two most successful colours used in them, if that would help.
I've backed and given a mention on twitter.
Ian