[games_access] WoW accessible for blind gamers?

John Porter jrporter at uw.edu
Tue Feb 7 20:00:18 EST 2012

I remember back in 2009 when Alex Stern filed suit against SOE because he
was unable to play Everquest. The case was rather promptly thrown out of
court (unsurprisingly) because games --even MMOs-- are not considered places
of 'public accommodation' and therefore aren't covered by the Americans with
Disabilities Act. Perhaps the judicial system in other countries might react
differently, but at least in the US, the discrimination angle doesn't seem
viable right now.

Schools are an ENTIRELY different story, though. If a game became part of
the mainstream curriculum in a public classroom, then the ADA would be
directly applicable and it would be a fairly open and shut case.

[Also, hey everyone! First time poster here).

John R. Porter III
www.jrp3.net
University of Washington,
Human Centered Design & Engineering