[games_access] Whinge and whine

John R. Porter jrporter at uw.edu
Mon Mar 26 11:30:51 EDT 2012

To be fair, I think we need to draw a distinction between the
existence of *resources
for accessible gaming* and *infrastructures to support the community of
disabled gamers*.if I don't think anyone would argue that the former didn't
exist prior to 2004, but these sites (such as the specific sites you
reference, Barrie) very much focused on providing solutions to gamers more
than opening a dialogue, not to mention the fact that they tend to be
rather sharply fragmented along the lines of certain impairments or certain
types of adaptations.

So while AbleGamers obviously didn't start the entire movement, I think it *is
*probably fair to say that they were the first to do what they do: serve as
a hub for gamers, developers, and others to come together in a single,
coherent community setting to engage in discussions related to issues of
game accessibility. When I watched the video, this was the message I took
away from it. Perhaps the specific framing of the comment wasn't the best
and may have underplayed the prevalence of these smaller, specialized
sites, but then again I think we all know how easily this sort of thing can
be lost in the editing process (especially when you aren't actually in
charge of the video).

-John