[games_access] Whinge and whine

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:41:31 EDT 2012

Yes, while the wording of the quote stating that there were no web resources at all available before Ablegamers came along obviously isn't true, Steve's absolutely right in that we (we meaning everyone globally who is thinking about / practicing / advocating game accessibility)  are currently a very small group working towards a common goal, all pushing in exactly the same direction.
We are all very close allies, we all want the same thing and any minor details like these along the way aren't important. In years to come when accessibility is standard good practice across the industry all that will matter is the fact that we got there. Noone in the world now cares about the stress and interpersonal issues that were involved with creating broadcast TV closed captioning. Those things are long forgotten, all that matters that it's now done and has a huge affect on people's lives on a daily basis.
Although it's unpleasant for everyone else involved pre-2004 to have Mark phrase it like that,  from past experience it will have been an off-the-cuff unscripted comment, chosen by the editors for maximum impact over all of hugely more valuable information that they will have cut out. And more importantly in the grand scheme of things it's a video that is getting lots of coverage and doing a good job of raising awareness, which helps us all get closer to our goal.
Although it's not quite giving credit where credit is due, every single person on this list can take full credit for being a true pioneer, amongst the very first to spearhead the effort in the industry and making a direct impact on people's quality of life.Ian