[games_access] GGJ accessibility

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:25:10 EST 2012

Hi all, getting to that time of year again!

The global game jam is happening at the end of January.

In case you aren't aware of it the game jam is a hack event, where teams around the world (at over 200 venues) simultaneously try to make complete games in the space of 48 hours.

So just seeing if anyone might be interested in helping to push accessibility criteria this year?

After Tara's great start in 2011 we expanded it out to a much wider audience for 2012, with some fantastic results. Loads of awareness raised, some major press coverage and some really innovative work done.

The strongest lesson from last year was that success is directly dependent on having someone actually there on the ground who can give an introductory chat, encourage teams to take part and give accessibility advice as they go along. You wouldn't need to be there for the whole 48 hours (unlike the developers, sleep is fine), but the more time the better.

So if you'd be interested in doing that then please do say, there'll be a jam near you that could well be interested in taking part. Doesn't matter where in the world you are either, last time it was just in the UK and USA, but this year we've already had some strong interest for the Melbourne jam in Australia for example.

Ian